Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Permanently deleted iexplore.exe?!

This is a discussion on Permanently deleted iexplore.exe?! within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I had some trouble with a browser infector called v9. When reading a tutorial, I was told to

Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I had some trouble with a browser infector called v9. When reading a tutorial, I was told to delete the infected browser shortcut. I accidentally deleted iexplore.exe from the Internet Explorer sub-folder allocated in the program files folder. The next day I managed to remove the virus, but now I have no Internet explorer on my computer. I have tried visiting the Microsoft website for reinstalling Internet explorer 10 on my Windows 8 Computer, but their page shows no download link. This is because they've pre installed it into all Windows 8 computers, but what they didn't think of was somebody deleting iexplore.exe from the Internet Explorer folder.
I have also tried installing Internet explorer 10 for windows 7 from the Microsoft website, but as spoon as I activated the download, it said I already had Internet explorer installed into my computer (obviously because it must be detecting the other files from the Internet Explorer folder).
So I tried something else - simply deleting the Internet Explorer folder from the program files folder. But that didn't work either, because apparently I need permission from something called the 'TrustedUser'!! (I'm the admin of my personal computer btw).
My last resort was a plan to contact Microsoft support. Turns out they don't give a crap about the personal computer owners and so shove them into the 'Microsoft Community' - how the hell are some college student 'knowitall' nerds going to understand my problem?!

What can I do?! I've tried running the task manager and typing in the 'Run' dialog: iexplore.exe - but it can't find anything. And I don't want to use another browser (so please don't answer with 'use Chrome it's better than that rubbish Internet explorer'). Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this problem and get Internet Explorer back to how I used to have it?!

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Have you tried to do a system restore to the date before you removed the file?

I recommend these:
Windows 7 & 8.1, Office 2013, Photoshop CS6, IE11
Security Essentials, Asus, Dell, Samsung,
Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

There should be two in 64 bit Windows 8.
%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

It may also turn itself back on when you check its box in Turn Windows features on or off via Programs and Features.

The restore point may still carry the infection so another alternative would be to run a sfc /scannow as an administrator from the cmd prompt.

If/when you get it reinstated then you should delete the restore points and manually create a new one.