Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No backgrounds in IE or Firefox??

3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  CArmstrong 
#1 ·
When using either IE 7.0 or Firefox, I can't see any backgrounds or designs. I can usually just see the foreground image (a logo) and maybe a box in a form but that's about it. Designs are bland. I have no idea what problem could be the same in both IE and Firefox - does anyone have any ideas of things I could check? Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi CArmstrong ! Sorry for the delay, seems we overlooked your post.

Are you using firefox version 2.0.0.3 ? If not, please update to that version.

Is it only the background image of some specific sites that you can't see or does it do that for all websites ? Could you give us a link to one such (harmless) website where this problem happens ?

A screenshot would certainly help too : press the printscreen or prtscr key on your keyboard then open paint (start => all programs => accessories), and paste the image in it (ctrl-v should work, or edit => paste). Save it as a .jpg and attach it to your next post.

#3 ·
Thanks justpassingby. Yes everything is absolutely updated completely, and it happens on almost all sites - CNN, MSN, even gmail. I'm probably going to run the system file checker, but I"m at a loss because both IE and Firefox are affected... I didn't think they used many common files. I'll try to take a screenshot the next time I'm at the computer.

-Chris

#5 · (Edited)
Okay I ran the System File Checker and it came up with absolutely nothing. I uninstalled IE7 and reverted back to IE6 but the issue still persisted, so I reinstalled IE7. What's interesting is that when using Opera, everything works great - everything renders like it's supposed to.

I can trace the problem back to when AOL was uninstalled from the computer. My guess is that it corrupted or removed some shared or system files that aren't checked by SFC. What's also interesting is that when I ran the IE7 installer, it didn't render properly either. The font was larger than usual and no icons were displayed (like the blue validation logo on that step). The box was grey with black writing.

I'd like to do an XP repair install or reinstall, but I think the disc Compaq sent will only restore the drive to the state saved in the recovery partition on the drive. That's what I'm ready to do if this issue can't be resolved. What components are shared between IE and Firefox and not Opera? That could potentially help me track this problem down.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I just remembered that once IE7 was reinstalled and I gave it my settings (default search provider, etc.) and hit "Save Settings", the JavaScript failed. Instead of saving my settings it just returned me to the top of the page. I verified that it could process JavaScript by testing it on my page http://www.rushcountdown.com - since I know the code I could check what wouldn't render. It viewed the page fine except that the background and text colors were reversed (text was black, background was white) and the e-mail link wasn't displayed. The JavaScript countdown script ran fine. So, I'm pretty much at a loss here. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
I'm not an expert on web browsers and I will ask that this topic be moved to the IE forum where you'll have better support.

Are your running SP2 and have you done all the latest critical updates on windows update ? If not install SP2 and do those updates.

Have you tried emptying the browsers cache ?

Maybe this could be related to .net framework. What version(s) of .net framework do you have on this computer ? Check in the add/remove programs utility. Don't uninstall them yet, just report every item related to .net framework you see there.

Try to uninstall/reinstall the java runtime environment :
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010800.xml

Do the same with the adobe flash player plugin :
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

Check first that those uninstall procedures apply to your versions.

#7 ·
The machine is running the latest version of Java, and SP2 and everything else is fully updated. If you could move this to the IE forum I'd appreciate it :)

The browser's cache as well as the system temp folder has been cleared. I tried just about everything, including removing and reinstalling both IE and Firefox.

#10 ·
I'm happy to know you had it resolved and thx for sharing the info with us :pray:

Did simply creating a new account solve the problem with your older account or did you have to replace that older account completely with the new one you just created ?

I really don't like that kind of ISP's that install their own softwares on your computer without asking your opinion first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.