Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

media link in address bar streams and does not download

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Go The Power 
#1 ·
This has been rattling my brain for the past week. I downloaded IE9 because IE8 has been draining memory when I have numerous windows open... seriously some pagers will be at 600,999k with no end in sight of chewing up memory...

Anyway... the real issue. IE9 broke the way I download videos, and for the life of me I can't get it to come back (even after reverting back to IE8)

Example:

ZR1 Corvette Top Speed - Courtesy Chevrolet Phoenix video by CourtesyChev - Photobucket

That is a page for a video on photobucket (pretty nice ZR1 going 206mph)

Now I used to be able to view the source of the page to get the actual video location, use that link in the address bar, hit enter and the "open/save/save as" box would come up so I could download the video.

Now when I grab the direct link: http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums...23_0_New_Corvette_ZR1_Tops_Out_at_205_MPH.mp4

It will stream the video and not allow me to save it. I mean there is a work around by going to tinyurl.com with the link and making a new link. When the page loads the tinyurl link I can "right click save as" it..... But that is too much work for something that worked in IE8 just fine until I upgraded

Now all that happens is an internal quicktime loads. I tried disabling the quicktime plug in and changing the default media player, but then it will load WMP and stream in that (with no option to save there either)

Any thoughts? (Windows 7 ultimate)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am currently playing around witht he settings trying to get it work. I cant find it, maybe someone else will now.

But in the mean time you can try Firefox

Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client

Then do this:

First open up Firefox, click on Tools, then on Options, and on the tab Main

Under downloads make sure it is Save files to desktop.

Once that is done click on the tab Content, and underneath File types click on Manage, look at the programs and see what they say. If any say they that they will open in MP4, follow the instructions below:

Click on one of the file extensions that you want to change, then click on Change action, and choose save to my computer click Ok, and go through all the ones that say it is going to open in Itunes.

Once finished click Ok and restart Firefox, and try to download a file.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.