Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Javascript "void 0" error message

This is a discussion on Javascript "void 0" error message within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Could someone PLEASE advise me. When I am on a site and it states to click to enlarge - I

Old 11-18-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Could someone PLEASE advise me. When I am on a site and it states to click to enlarge - I keep getting the error message "Javascript void 0 ". This is driving me crazy. I already went into the tools section - internet security - custom - and made sure that scripting and everything else was enabled as per instructions from Internet Explorer support site but it is still appearing. I've also turned off all pop-up blockers but still to no avail. Can anyone advise me on a fix for this. I know I can't be the only person this is happening to. Thanks in advance for your help. c

Old 11-18-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

try going to www.java.com and downloading the new java.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

I appreciate the response and will try it now. One other question - what exactly does the Java plug-in do exactly. The last time I tried to fix the problem I went to the Java Sun(???) site and after reading up on it I still had no idea what purpose it serves. I also considered removing it from my computer but when I went to the Remove programs I saw how much space it was taking up and figured it must be important if it is using that much space??! Could you enlighten me on Java program and the purpose it serves. I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm on my way to get the most recent download. Thanks!!! c
Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, I went and downloaded all the updates to my Java and I still get the Javascript (void 0) error message when I try to enlarge something. Just to verify, are you telling me to uninstall the Java that is currently on my computer and then redownload the latest. It states that the Java I have is currently up to date but I want to be sure of what you are telling me before I uninstall the one I have. Thanks for your help. c
Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm having the same exact issue. Admittedly, I'm no computer genius. But I did all of what you did, cscallywags, as was instructed on IE, and it didn't help me either. I can't delete an account from a website, nor can I post blogs. Terrister, are you saying it's not enough to update Java? Will someone please help...?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Last night I tried to edit my first post to say that I had already gone to the Java website and was about to download the new Java when I noted the "remove old version", and "issues" links. So I checked it out and basically it says that you shouldn't remove the old Java since some of your programs can be using it.

So now I'm in a very uninformed position, and frankly, I can't afford to learn on accident. Help! How can I tell if this laptop will support 2 versions together. And how will that work?

~Jilted in Javaville
Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
God (TSF Enthusiast)

My System

Send a message via AIM to ahmorrow Send a message via Yahoo to ahmorrow

Javascript != Java. These two languages are completely different.

Problem Cause ::::: Solution
A popup blocker blocking the JavaScript :::::: Disable your popup blocker
A malfunctioning web proxy ::::: Disable your web proxy, if possible
An improperly written JavaScript ::::: Webmaster must rewrite the JavaScript
JavaScript is not enabled ::::: Enable JavaScript
Web browser implementation of JavaScript is broken ::::: Switch web browsers or upgrade your web browser

That would look a lot better if I could use tables T.T
Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmorrow View Post
Javascript != Java. These two languages are completely different.

Problem Cause ::::: Solution
A popup blocker blocking the JavaScript :::::: Disable your popup blocker
A malfunctioning web proxy ::::: Disable your web proxy, if possible
An improperly written JavaScript ::::: Webmaster must rewrite the JavaScript
JavaScript is not enabled ::::: Enable JavaScript
Web browser implementation of JavaScript is broken ::::: Switch web browsers or upgrade your web browser

That would look a lot better if I could use tables T.T

Thanks, ahmorrow! I've tried 3 of these. I'll go try the other 2.

Jen
Old 08-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
God (TSF Enthusiast)

My System

Anytime, let me know. Oh and after you try one, undo what you did so we can narrow it down and find an alternative for you.

Or you can take them all off, and put one on at a time testing it out on a site that previously wouldn't let you go fullscreen or whatever.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ahmorrow- I installed the new IE8 and it has a "broken page" button which helped. Now I can at least blog! What did you mean by "after you try one, undo what you did" and "Or you can take them all off, and put one on at a time"? Did you mean to go back thru the other 3 steps and undo each one, then retest the webpage I has having trouble with? Let me know- I'd like to be sure so I can try that, too, if it would help even more. Thanks again!

Jen
Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
God (TSF Enthusiast)

My System

Eh, it doesn't really matter if it's working for you, I was just going to try and figure out what the problem was. Turns out your blogs javascript code isn't up to par with IE8... or IE8 isn't up to par with your javascript code. Either way, that button--if I remember correctly--is compatibility mode. It makes pages work in IE8 that shouldn't really work in IE8 making it a prettier IE7.

Either way I'm glad it worked for you. I just hope the OP see's this and replies to it one day.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

I sent the OP a message letting him(?) know. I'm grateful for all your help. Thanks again! :)

Jen
Old 09-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
We have detected you may be viewing this page in a 32-bit browser. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers.
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Had same problem because i only installed the 64 bit one
added 32bit no more problems with IE 8

And uncheck compatibility view or turn it off or add the website that
gives you the void error