Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Internet options will not open

This is a discussion on Internet options will not open within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Thanks in advance for all of you time, Under "Control panel" I am unable to open the "Internet options" icon,

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Thanks in advance for all of you time,

Under "Control panel" I am unable to open the "Internet options" icon, it will also not open if i try by way of using "Tools" and then down to "Internet options". I am using the latest version of McAfee which has been update and it finds no viruses. Weather it is related, I have also noticed I can not do a "System Restore", I get a message that it could not be restored and no changes have been made.( no matter how many different dates I have tried to restore back to). Dell says it is a software problem.

I have also tried to click on properties under "Interner Exploer" to check what version I have and the properties window will not open.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi TWC357, welcome to TSF..

does the same happen in Safe Mode and from other user profiles on your PC?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes Nickster UK

I have tried under a different pofile and in Safe Mode, however, in safe mode when I went to control panel there was no "Internet Options" icon to click on, there was one icon there which did not have a name under it, when I tried to open it nothing opened. All other icons appeared identical as when I go in under normal mode. I also tried a system restore under safe mode and received the same message that it could not restore.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Ok...do you have an XP installation disc?

Also, I know you said that you have scanned with McAfee but we can't rule out an malware infection just yet as there are loads of problems which can easily bypass McAfee.

It may be an idea to download Spybot S+D and Adaware and then perform scans with both...they're both freeware tools and whilst they're not perfect, they can detect things McAfee can't. Please post back on what they find..if anything.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

complete guess...Corrupt file maybe?

If you have the XP disc, try a repair.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to KimQ

Hello...I am also not able to open "internet options". I tried to go in from tools and control panel but all I see is a quick flash, will not open...I have SpyBot search and destroy...tried to see if that had locked it out but I can't tell...I am the administrator, what should I do?
Thank you for any wisdom shared!!!
Kim
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hello,

My name is Mike, Iím a Technical Analyst located at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. Iím part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I read about your problem and wanted to offer some suggestions.

Before we get started looking into options I am going to suggest that you take the time to back up the information on your hard drive as this may be a sign that the OS is starting to crash completely, and data retrieval will be much more involved and difficult at that point.

It most certainly does sound like this is a software issue. Specifically, it seems like a corrupt user profile or Internet Explorer. A quick and easy way to check and see if itís a profile issue is to go into the Control Panel as an admin and create another user account, then logoff and go back in under the newly created one. Open IE and attempt to access the Internet Options. If they pull up then the problem is the user profile in which you can just copy your information over to the new profile and simply delete the old one. Now, if you get the same problem under a new profile then itís more then likely a corrupt IE file. You can try reinstalling IE with the Microsoft instructions here. This calls for registry editing which can get fairly complicated for even experienced users, so if it looks like something you donít want to attempt, donít, especially if your system restore options are not working.

If the instructions for reinstalling IE donít work, or you just donít feel comfortable playing with the registry, then you may want to attempt a repair install of Windows. This is not a clean install; it will only repair altered or corrupt Windows files which include IE. For instructions on performing the repair install check Microsoftís KB article here.

If all else fails then a back up and clean install would probably be best. I know this is the most time consuming of all, but in circumstances where OS files are becoming corrupt it may be the best solution. Since weíre still unsure of what caused the corruption there is a chance that it may still be somewhere in the OS and running the fixes may only be a temporary solution. If the fixes work, great! And you always have this information to come back to if the corruption repeats and you want to do a clean install. Also, depending on the model of your system, you may have a hidden partition on the hard drive that carries a complete image with drivers and preinstalled programs (just like when you took it out of the box) that makes the reinstall process MUCH easier. If a complete reinstall is the way you want to go try booting up the system and when you see the DELL screen push and hold the <Ctrl> key and then tap on the <F11> key. If the image is on the drive this will access it and begin the process. It will erase your hard drive and everything on it so make sure you have everything backed up! If you use the key command and nothing happens, try it again as you may have just missed the time allotted to activate the partition. If it continues to just boot to Windows then you probably donít have the feature and would need to reinstall via the OS CD. I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you,

Mike
Dell customer advocate
Old 06-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Hi Mike,
Thank you for helping me. I'm very frustrated (and worried). I have a Dell Dimension E310. I've only had it a year. I did purchase an extended warranty for 3 years , (I believe, need to check)
I created a new profile, same problem. I'm going to do a repair, see if that helps. I'll get back to you...

thanks again,
Kim
Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Mike...I'm going to have to try it tomorrow, I need to look for the XP disk!!!

Kim