Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Internet Explorere suddenly stopped working!

This is a discussion on Internet Explorere suddenly stopped working! within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Every time I try to use Internet Explorer, it stops at the "connecting..." stage and will not load the page

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Every time I try to use Internet Explorer, it stops at the "connecting..." stage and will not load the page (any page). Once this happens I cannot close IE, or minimize it, or do anything with it for that matter. Even bringing up the task manager and trying to End Task doesn't work.

I know the internet connection is fine because I have been using Firefox since this happened with no problems, and I play LOTRO with no problems.

The problem is definitely with IE, as nothing else causes this. I was using IE before and it worked fine, but all of a sudden it just started doing this. Don't know why.

I get this error in a separate window:

Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

More information:

Internet Explorer Version: 7.0.6000.16574

OS: Microsoft XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

I run Norton Antivirus and Adaware checks regularly (once a week) on my computer, but have not done so since this problem happened. I will run them and post the results afterward. I also use have Norton Internet Security running in the background at all times to block viruses as well as AdWatch to block other problems.

I'm usually pretty savvy with computers (but not professional), but don't really know what to do to fix this problem since IE does not respond to anything once opened.

As stated, I have been using Firefox as a work-around while IE is down, and may continue to use it if the wife and I get use to it (I have heard many people recommend it over IE anyway).

Old 01-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Possible fixes include trying it with Norton turned off. Be sure you are only using one internet antivirus program at a time. Use system recovery and restore to a date that IE worked. That is located in the last part of your system tools. Norton may have taken control of restore so you might have to go through Norton. Finally you might try using another antivirus like AVG Free to double check for a virus that Norton may have missed.