Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

View Poll Results: How do you like IE 7 vs. Firefox?
Much worse 5 45.45%
Somewhat worse 3 27.27%
Somewhat better 3 27.27%
Much better 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Internet Explorer will ONLY load secure sites

This is a discussion on Internet Explorer will ONLY load secure sites within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have seen lots of posts from people who cannot load secure sites, but I can only load secure sites.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

I have seen lots of posts from people who cannot load secure sites, but I can only load secure sites. Here is my scenario... I was about to upgrade XP to SP2 so, as per the instructions, I ran Ad-aware and Norton Anti-virus. I removed 5 pieces of "spyware" though they were really only benign looking cookies (eg-Overstock.com). Once I was done I opened IE6.1 to download SP2, but for some reason could not load the Microsoft site (or any other). I opened it in Firefox without a problem. I then downloaded "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers" since you can only perform the auto update from IE. SP2 installed without a hitch, but still no explorer. Then I upgraded IE 6.1 to IE 7 Beta 2, but it still has the same issue. I can only load secure sites (https). I have tried changing the security settings, but to no avail. Has anyone seen or heard of this issue? I have been using IE for 11 years and have never had a problem with it that couldn't be resolved by a re-boot. Firefox and Mozilla are working great on secure and unsecured sites, but I ocassionally need IE. Any input would be appreciated,

Old 06-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried looking into any rules that may have been made in your firewall/security programs for IE, or temporary disabling the firewall?
Check your connection settings for connecting to the internet too.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to whardman Send a message via MSN to whardman
You said that you had Norton Anti-Virus software. Do you have Norton Internet Securities? I have that installed on two computers and one accasionaly will do just that. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Reinstalling NIS may help but I have not tried it.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yes, I changed all security settings to low and still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverbird
Have you tried looking into any rules that may have been made in your firewall/security programs for IE, or temporary disabling the firewall?
Check your connection settings for connecting to the internet too.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

I do not have NIS installed. I have restarted the computer several times. Every other browser works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whardman
You said that you had Norton Anti-Virus software. Do you have Norton Internet Securities? I have that installed on two computers and one accasionaly will do just that. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Reinstalling NIS may help but I have not tried it.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxx
I have seen lots of posts from people who cannot load secure sites, but I can only load secure sites. Here is my scenario... I was about to upgrade XP to SP2 so, as per the instructions, I ran Ad-aware and Norton Anti-virus. I removed 5 pieces of "spyware" though they were really only benign looking cookies (eg-Overstock.com). Once I was done I opened IE6.1 to download SP2, but for some reason could not load the Microsoft site (or any other). I opened it in Firefox without a problem. I then downloaded "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers" since you can only perform the auto update from IE. SP2 installed without a hitch, but still no explorer. Then I upgraded IE 6.1 to IE 7 Beta 2, but it still has the same issue. I can only load secure sites (https). I have tried changing the security settings, but to no avail. Has anyone seen or heard of this issue? I have been using IE for 11 years and have never had a problem with it that couldn't be resolved by a re-boot. Firefox and Mozilla are working great on secure and unsecured sites, but I ocassionally need IE. Any input would be appreciated,
I have the same problem as you have, though i my WinXP is already SP2 and im using mcafee AV and i didn't installed ad-aware yet when i started to experience this problem. I can only load secure sites..
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
Registered Member

The fact that all was ok until you prepared your pc for service pack 2 by using ad-aware and Norton could suggest that the removal of a malicious code has messed things up. Perhaps you may need to repair or re-install IE.

Firstly, check all options in IE such as the Content Advisor, perhaps something isn't right in here?? Try restoring to all the default settings for the browser.
If your using a router, check its configuration, make sure ports are not blocked inadvertantly. The default is 80 for regular sites and 443 for secure.
If you connect using dial up, check the details are that of your isp and that your Internet browser is not configured to connect through a proxy server.

Lets know how you get on ;)
Old 07-24-2006, 05:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

This is my first post, so excuse me if I've made a mistake somewhere!
I had this problem this morning, and searched everywhere for a cure. I eventually discovered that, following the installation of the new FreshDownload software, the browser integration option had messed something up. Disabling and then re-enabling the integration with IE6 cured the problem completely.
I would suggest that this may apply to other software with browser integration, and if you have installed such software you could try the same trick of disable/re-enable.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

you hit the nail right on the head. i ran Fresh Download, answered the query "Make Fresh Download your default download manager?", restarted IE6, then presto! no more problemo!

thnx a lot for that suggestion, Tom.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks Tom N. I've had the problem of only being able to load secure sites since I installed IE7 beta, I uninstalled it but then IE6 was the same! Used Avant for some time but now everything is OK following your advice.

Thanks!