Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Internet explorer using 90-100% CPU taking over my PC!!

This is a discussion on Internet explorer using 90-100% CPU taking over my PC!! within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yeah, I just recently noticed my computer running SUPER slow, so I opened up task manager and processes, it shows

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Yeah, I just recently noticed my computer running SUPER slow, so I opened up task manager and processes, it shows internet explorer(iexplore.exe) using nearly 100% of my CPU and 200,000k+ memory usage. It does it everytime I start my computer, not even connected to the internet. It literally cripples my computer. The only way I've found around it is to right click on iexplore.exe and end the process. Even then it opens up a few more times, and I have to repeat the steps to end it. It finally stops hogging my system after like 3 or 4 end processes. Do you know what I can do to stop it? I don't even use IE, I use AOL software, can I uninstall it without issues? I'd gladly install a different browser to stop this..

IE Verison 6
p4 2.6ghz 768mbram
56k Dial-up connection

Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

From the sounds of it you have spyware/malware or similar on the system, and this is opening IE by itself (hence it reopens when you end the process) and it'll be doing who knows what, using a huge amount of processor time and memory. I've had this many times before, and it's always been malware and the like.

Many things you can do ... download and run adaware, spybot search and destroy, or any other spyware removal programs. Run an antivirus program and do a full system scan. You could do all these in one by googling windows one livecare or whatever it's called now, and do an online scan. Personally, after that I'd also install Adaware and Spybot. There's a little download called ComboFix which also gets rid of bad stuff from the system, can't remember what specifically, but I think it's hard to remove stuff that other detection software either misses or can't remove effectively. Just search for combofix, or adware combofix - you'll find it.

If any of the above helps, do come back on here and say so - it helps other people as well as lets people like me know if our info is useful or not.