Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Internet Explorer lock-up problem

This is a discussion on Internet Explorer lock-up problem within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running IE8 with xp sp3. Everytime I drag the scroll bar or use a drop down menu, I

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am running IE8 with xp sp3. Everytime I drag the scroll bar or use a drop down menu, I freeze up for 30 to 60 seconds before resuming normal function. I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE. I have disabled all of the add-on's. This problem began after an auto update one night a couple of months ago. Anyone have any ideas that I can try short of a clean install of the OS? Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Empty your Temporary Internet files and reset max. to 100mb.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion Corday. I already had the max set at 50 mb and I delete the temporary internet files fairly regularly. I deleted the files and reset the max to 100 mb, but it didn't resolve the problem. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Try uninstalling and reinstalling IE8 again only this time during the download and install, deactivate your AV and Windows firewall.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

When you uninstall IE8, try using IE7 to see if the same problem persists, then re install IE8. And post back with the results.

If the same problem is still there, please try this:

Reset Internet Explorer Settings - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

Cry

I uninstalled IE8 and had the same issues with IE7. I've reinstalled IE8 and tried the reset idea, but still no success. I have run a registry cleaner (RegDefense). It found 1700 so called problems and I allowed it to fix them all. Still no luck.

The computer runs normally in all respects with the exception of using the scroll bar and drop down menus while browsing the web with IE. I have disabled and/or deleted everything that I can think of that might be contributing to the problem.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm still open to trying others.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

See if KB908531 is installed (only if you're running HP photo junk). If so uninstall and get amended version. Try to stay away from Registry Cleaners. If you must use them, be sure the action can be reversed.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

• Click Here to download ToolbarCop. Save it to your desktop.
  • Go to your desktop and extract toolbarcop.zip.
  • Go to the extracted files
  • Double click on Toolbarcop.exe
  • Click on the notepad symbol:
  • A notepad file should pop up, please copy and paste Everything from the notepad file and paste it back into this thread.

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Registered Member

Browser Add-on Report generated by ToolbarCop v3.4
1/12/2011 9:14:55 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------
Browser Extension: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4EDC-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\tv\EXPLBAR.DLL - Enabled - All Users
Browser Extension: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL - Enabled - All Users
Browser Extension: n/a - {E2E2DD38-D088-4134-82B7-F2BA38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe - Enabled - All Users
Browser Extension: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11D2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe - Enabled - All Users
Toolbar: &Address - {01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383} - %SystemRoot%\system32\browseui.dll - Enabled - Current User
Toolbar: &Links - {0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383} - %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll - Enabled - Current User
Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll - Enabled - Current User
Toolbar: MyWestTexas.com Toolbar - {812C92A8-A0E4-4D35-B57B-2036D4EB2695} - C:\Program Files\MyWestTexas.com\tbMyW2.dll - Enabled - Current User
Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll - Enabled - All Users
Toolbar: MyWestTexas.com Toolbar - {812C92A8-A0E4-4D35-B57B-2036D4EB2695} - C:\Program Files\MyWestTexas.com\tbMyW2.dll - Enabled - All Users
BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll - Enabled - All Users
BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll - Enabled - All Users
BHO: Conduit Engine - {30F9B915-B755-4826-820B-08FBA6BD249D} - C:\Program Files\ConduitEngine\ConduitEngine.dll - Enabled - All Users
BHO: MyWestTexas.com Toolbar - {812C92A8-A0E4-4D35-B57B-2036D4EB2695} - C:\Program Files\MyWestTexas.com\tbMyW2.dll - Enabled - All Users
BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484F-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll - Enabled - All Users
BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435B-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll - Enabled - All Users
BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: - - - Enabled - Current User
Run - Startup: ATI Launchpad - - "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe" - Enabled - Current User
Run - Startup: ATI DeviceDetect - - "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE" - Enabled - Current User
Run - Startup: MSMSGS - - "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background - Enabled - Current User
Run - Startup: DoubleMySpeed Registry Cleaner - - C:\Program Files\CyberDefender\Registry Scanner\CDregclean.exe - Enabled - Current User
Run - Startup: ATIPTA - - "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: SoundMAXPnP - - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: EPSON Stylus CX5400 - - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5400" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5400" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: Acrobat Assistant 7.0 - - "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: - - - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: DLPSP - - "c:\program files\dell printers\Additional Color Laser Software\Status Monitor\DLPSP.EXE" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: StartCCC - - "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: SunJavaUpdateSched - - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: QuickTime Task - - "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launcher - - "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: Adobe ARM - - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: iTunesHelper - - "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe" - Enabled - All Users
Run - Startup: RDFNSListener - - C:\Program Files\RegDefense\RDFNSListener.exe - Enabled - All Users

List of running Processes
--------------------------------------------------------------
\SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\ASF Agent\ASFAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
c:\program files\dell printers\Additional Color Laser Software\Status Monitor\DLSDBNT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\program files\dell printers\Additional Color Laser Software\Status Monitor\DLPSP.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\RegDefense\RDFNSListener.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
c:\program files\dell printers\Additional Color Laser Software\Status Monitor\DLPWDNT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIMMC.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Vince\Desktop\toolbarcop\Toolbarcop.exe

Operating System details
----------------------------------------------------------
Operating System: Windows XP 5.1
Build: 2600
Service Pack level: Service Pack 3
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Try closing some of your Toolbars.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Been out of town for last week or so. I've tried disabling all of the toolbars, accelerators, etc. with no success. I'm afraid it's about time to do a reformat and fresh install of the OS as much as I hate to.

Anyone have any clever ideas or shortcuts for rebuilding the machine to get all of the apps loaded back and not losing any data. I have always done it the hard way, backing all data up and reinstalling all the apps one by one including the multitude of updates. I'd like to at least keep all of the hardware drivers that are currently installed.

Is there a chance that a simple upgrade to Windows 7 might fix my problem?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts for the clean reinstall. I keep an updated version of my OS on an exterior device called Lifeboat (Maxtor Pro+) so all is always up to date. This still necessitates updating drivers for 3rd party apps., but still is a nice time saver.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

Each time I've rebuilt one of my computers, I always plan to create a ghost image of the installation after getting everything back like I want it, however, I have yet to do so. That would be a good way restore a machine with a clean, properly functioning installation after a crash or infection or some sort. If I do rebuild this machine, I will invest in the latest version of Ghost.

I'm not aware of a way to create a restore of the entire system installation within Windows. Am I wrong about this?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Correct. Windows backup program is designed to save your personal files.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
Registered Member

I have performed a windows repair without losing any uncorrupted files see this link.
Perform a Repair Installation
and / or google 'windows xp repair' for plenty of information.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Init4christ: You seem to be headed for a clean install. What zorotipping is referring to is sometimes called an overwrite. It works when Windows OS files are corrupted or missing.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

I've performed the repair procedure several times in the past. I know it doesn't wipe out the hard drive and data files, but I thought that it wiped out the registry which forces reinstallation of all the apps. Am I wrong about this? If I'm going to go to the trouble of having to reinstall everything, I would prefer to do a clean install with reformat and partition since that is the easy part.

Thanks for all of the feedback
Old 01-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
Registered Member

I started from the dreaded blue screen when my graphics card fried. The repair allowed me to get everything including all programs unaffected by the graphics card working again. So it does not wipe out or repair the registry. If you still have problems you may have to reformat, but I would try this first.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #19
Registered Member

I did the repair on the windows installation, downloaded all of the security updates and sp3, etc. and am back where I started. I increased the virtual memory for paging file from 2 gb to 10 gb but no success.

I've got 4gb of memory installed in this Dell workstation 470 machine, but Windows only shows 3gb when I go to the General tab of the System from Control Panel. Is this normal or could I have some bad memory? When I go into my bios setup, it shows that I have two 2gb dimms installed, but perhaps there are some bad chips on one of the dimms.

I'm out of ideas.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

3 GB is addressable memory. 4GB is what you really have (address space) in a 32 bit system. So, RAM is not the problem.

Closed Thread