Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Internet Explorer is the only working browser...

This is a discussion on Internet Explorer is the only working browser... within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My little brother told me one day shortly after a Mozilla Firefox update that all my browsers stopped working. I

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

My little brother told me one day shortly after a Mozilla Firefox update that all my browsers stopped working. I checked it out and sure enough Mozilla, Opera, and Chrome all dont work, on the other hand Internet Explorer works. Can anyone give me any tips on how to fix this problem, thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you got all these browsers installed on your computer? Mozilla, Opera, and Chrome, as well as IE?

Are Mozilla, Opera, and Chrome, all showing in Add and Remove?

Are there shortcuts for them all in your taskbar?

Are they all updated to the latest versions?

What happens when you click on the shortcuts of the three that do not work? Do they load? is there an error message?

More information would help us to help you.

kind regards,

Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

I don't know what u mean by add or remove, but they are all updated. When I try to open it from the shortcut it says cannot load/connect depending on the browser
Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinikaylo View Post
I don't know what u mean by add or remove, but they are all updated. When I try to open it from the shortcut it says cannot load/connect depending on the browser
To find Add and Remove, please click on
  • Start - lower left corner of your desktop
  • Settings
  • Control Panel
  • Add and Remove
Scroll down to find Chrome, Mozilla, & Opera, in alphabetical order. Please tell me if they are all showing in your Add and Remove Applet.

Internet Explorer will be found in
  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Internet Explorer
Are you sure you are connected to the internet, it sounds to me you may not be when you try to open the three browsers that are not responding.

How can they be updated if they will not open for you. Are there any error messages that could help me research or reply to your questions?

When you reply, please give as much information as you can.

kind regards,
Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, they are all in the add or remove list. I know they are updated bc I kept them up to date before this happened(about a month ago). And heres what it says in each of the browsers when I open them. Mozilla: Unable to connect, Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at en-us.start3.mozilla.com. Opera: Error! Could not connect to Remote Server. So it seems like they cant connect to the internet, idk why. IE works fine though. Oh and thanks for the help so far.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Leaving IE alone as it works, I would firstly ask why you would need so many browsers installed?

I have only ever heard of folk using their browser of choice, in your case IE, and having a backup browser in case of an emergency. However I understand it is your choice, so let us see if we can get at least one other working for you by doing the following.
  • Download and install Revo uninstaller to your desktop
  • Run it, follow the prompts to uninstall each of the non working browsers one by one
  • Reboot your computer
Choose one of the three to download and install making sure you do not choose added tool bars or anything other than the required browser offered. After installation of the chosen browser, run it, go to the Help tab, scroll to Check for Updates to make sure you have the latest version.

My alternate browser is IE 8.0, but for everyday use I have CometBird which I can highly recommend to you as a working browser of some standing.

Please read about Revo on the link offered so you have a working knowledge why I am suggesting you use it instead of your Add and Remove applet.

Let me know how you proceed.

kind regards,
Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

It stil didnt work, I couldnt check for the latest version bc it cant connect to the internet(althoough it is the latest)
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Did you follow my last post and uninstall the three browsers using Revo uninstaller.

More information is better than not enough so we can help you further.

kind regards,
Old 02-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Registered Member

Yes, i followed the last post exactly. Same problem as before.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinikaylo View Post
Yes, i followed the last post exactly. Same problem as before.
Are you Windows updates current?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Registered Member

Yes it is up to date, idk what the problem is, I turned my firewall off completely just to check and that didn't help s idk