Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Internet explorer doesn't work, firefox does

This is a discussion on Internet explorer doesn't work, firefox does within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I try opening internet explorer, the page comes up saying, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." It seems as

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

When I try opening internet explorer, the page comes up saying, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."
It seems as though my internet isn't working, and this page comes up for every website I try. But when I go onto Firefox I am able to connect to every website. Also, online games like WoW work just fine. Whats wrong?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello and welcome to TSF

what version of IE do you have?

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 04-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

Version 7.0
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

If this started after you installed the 4/9 Windows Updates, that is probably the problem. It was for me, although in my case Firefox 3b5 also gave me the same kind of problem (also Opera). I turned off Automatic Updates, and uninstalled all 5 updates using Add/remove Programs, and my problems went away.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Which updates did you uninstall, or around what date were the updates originally installed on your computer?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

I uninstalled ALL of the April 2008 updates. There are 5 of them - 4 for XP and 1 for IE7. They came down from MS this week. I understand that one of the members tried uninstalling only the IE7 update and that worked for him, but when I did that I got a message that 2 of the other (XP) updates would not work properly if I did that. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

sorry for the delay,

please do this

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

I know this is a little late, but I was having this problem which was driving me nuts for days and days after a malware corrupted my system. I removed the malware, but the problem persisted. I finally found a solution that I hope works for some of you. That is,

Go to: Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced>Reset. Then go to the bottom of the display and click on Reset.

Note this will take you back to default settings, therefore, and addins will be removed. Possibily other stuff, but you will connect.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

That is the same as I posted.

Please also do not re-open 1year old threads.

Thanks.

Closed Thread