Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Explorer 8 Tabs disappear when clicking duplicate tab

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
I had to do a system recovery which involved reinstalling Windows XP. I downloaded and installed all of the updates and then upgraded IE to version 8. Every time I right click a tab and select dupicate tab the new tab displays for a fraction of a second and then disappears. If I select new tab the tab appears and stays but with duplciate tab it disappears immediately. I can right click on a link and select open in new tab and that works fine. I can also right click on a link and select open in new window and that works fine.

If I go to File and New Window, the new windows opens briefly and then disappears and a message appears advising Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience......

I can open a new window using the IE icon on the quick lanuch toolbar but cannot by using file and new window.

I tried reinstalling IE8 however still have the same problem.

I also tried a reset under internet options-advanced, but no change
Thank you

#3 · (Edited)
I tried restoring defaults and a reset and no difference.

I have XP with SP 2. I did a reinstall as Windows had installed SP3 in Dec without my knowledge and I have a CADD program which doesn't function correctly with SP3 so had always refused to install it in the past and although my settings are set to notify before installing updates for some reason SP3 was installed. I tried several ways to uninstall SP3 but was unable to so had to reinstall Windows. I didn't try the IE version that installed with the new Windows install so don't know if it did the same thing, I just upgraded it to IE8 along with all of the other updates with the exclusion of SP3. Up until it installed SP3 in Dec I also had SP2 and IE8 and it functioned the way it should.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That may well explain my problem. :wink:

#6 ·
After uninstalling IE8 and installing IE7 when I clicked on the IE icon I would just get a flash on my desktop and the desktop would refresh and that was it. IE didn't open. Tried it several times and tried rebooting, so have now uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled IE8 but have the same issues.

#7 ·
Reversions go back to previous installation. Take it back to IE6 see if it works, then run Windows update. If necessary reinstall 8 and let's see where we are. When you reinstalled Windows, was it a clean reinstall, or an overwrite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.