Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only'

This is a discussion on internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only' within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have been the internet (for a couple of months) with no problems, everything was working fine but a couple

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

i have been the internet (for a couple of months) with no problems, everything was working fine but a couple of weeks ago my 'access' started to change and say local only, stopping me from viewing certain websites, pictures would not load and would then take to to the 'cannot display webpage'. when i try to diagnose it, it either says that windows could not find a problem with the connection, 'the problem has been resolved' (though it doesn't say what the problem actually was, and it isn't resolved as a couple of minutes later it will do it again), or it gives me the option to reset the network adapter and then says it has been resolved again (it hasn't). im running windows vista. using wireless internet connection and it always says that my signal strength is excellent.

i have no idea what it could be as i had not been doing anything differently with it when the problem started, help please.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

This happens when the router/dsl/cable modem loses its connection with the internet but your wireless connection between your computer and the wireless router stays up (local only).
The next time this happens run in and take a look at the WAN light on your dsl modem to verify that it is red or flashing orange (depending on your modem). Most likely the connection has dropped but the modem will restore the connection automatically when the line is good again. This is an ISP issue and you should call them when you are having trouble and ask them to diagnose the line. You will have to insist because it takes more than 2 microseconds of their time and you know how valuable they believe their time can be.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi. I've also had the same problem only in the last couple of weeks. I've had IT Engineers look at my laptop and they said it worked fine for them. Not sure how to fix this, but I do know that it's really annoying.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

This also has been happening to me at work. New desktop running vista with a wired dsl connection. Previous desktop was fine as are all the others in the office. The connection icon will drop in and out of the "Local and Internet" to "Local" as well. I reset IE8 to default settings and it is still behaving like this. Desktop is HP.