Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

IE9 is closed but sound still keeps playing

This is a discussion on IE9 is closed but sound still keeps playing within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was watching a streaming video on IE9. Now I closed all IE9 windows, but still sound of video keeps

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

I was watching a streaming video on IE9. Now I closed all IE9 windows, but still sound of video keeps playing ? Why is that ? Why does sound keep playing eventhough I have closed all windows ? I checked task manager and I dont see any IE application open. I opened the IE9 again. I stopped sound from playing on video because sound from earlier window(which has been closed) is still playing. Then I checked processes in task manager and I see an additional iexplore.exe process there. I closed all processes and then sound stopped playing. But to stop sound from playing, I had to end all processes.

Whats this going on ? Is this an issue with IE9 ? Why does a process does not end when application is closed ? Is a process independent of application ? Does an application have more than one process ?
Is there a way to figure out which process is playing sound ?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Your profile shows XP so if you have IE9, please update to your new OS. If you minimize, of course playing continues. If you're streaming, play should stop, however if you've downloaded and are actually using your built in "jukebox", then of course music would continue. Go to an online streaming radio station and if the problem still occurs, post back.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

I was watching a game via live streaming. It was audio - video both. so when I closed window, video was gone, but audio was still playing. I had to kill all processes to get rid of audio.

So neither I minimized window (There was no iexplore application) or nor I was using jukebox. So what can this be due to ? Someone suggested me that it can "pop-under launch". I dont know what this means. Any idea if this can cause issue ?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

The pop-under launch allows a website to run script which would run a commercial (or install one) after your browser was closed. I don't know why a sporting event broadcast would want to do that unless it was for the commercial content. Anyway, it can be prevented in IE9 by enabling your pop-up blocker. If adware is already installed on your computer, you have to get rid of it. AdAware is one of the popular programs for this.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

I just found something interesting by accident.
This situation occurred again when I closed treehousetv.com. Sound of a game is still coming after browser window was closed. I closed explorer.exe from task manager. All open browser windows are working fine, but it closed desktop interface , start bar and also with that voice which was playing after treehousetv.com page was closed is gone.

I restarted the process from task manager again using new task. That voice came back. So it is clear that sound is playing in one of the processes of explorer.exe
I looked in sound option, but was unable to figure out what is causing this.

Can anyone please let me know, what can be cauisng this sound ?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Try uninstalling IE9, see what happens with the default 8. If all OK reinstall 9.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

This is not something that keeps happening all the time. Most of the times it does not happen. But once in a while it occurs.

So there is no way I can check it. Is there other way to check sound options ?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Options are>Control Panel>Sounds and Multimedia, but I can't think of anything there that would affect intermittent transmittals. Try running IE in No-Addons mode.

Closed Thread