Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

IE8 Toolbars blacked out

This is a discussion on IE8 Toolbars blacked out within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I clicked shutdown on my computer yesterday before I realized that it had the little icon saying that updates would

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

I clicked shutdown on my computer yesterday before I realized that it had the little icon saying that updates would be applied when I shut off and I have no idea what updates were being added. Since then, my toolbars on IE8 are blacked out. The buttons are still there, but I only see a solid black bar. In addition, between the sections of black, it is transparent and shows whatever is behind the window (either the desktop or another window). While it's not a killer, it is pretty frustrating because if I move anything that is behind the IE8 window, I start to see overlapped text & graphics in that "transparent" area and it gets so bad, I have to shut down. Any ideas where to start? Thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

For starters you can go to Windows Update and look at the History. Here you will see what got installed at shut down.
What toolbars ar you referring to in IE8? Have you tried removing them then reinstalling ?

Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

The updates were security updates for Office. I've posted a pic here so you can see what the issue is, not sure I'm explaining it correctly. Notice that all the menu options are blacked out, they are there, but you can't see them. All the rest of the toolbar buttons are blacked out as well but the icons are showing. It's hard to see in the pic, but inbetween the bars where the menu buttons are the window is transparent and you can see what is behind that window. Unfortunately, if you move the front pane or go back & forth to several windows, what's in that transparent area gets jumbled up and soon I have to shut down explorer in order to see what I'm doing again. It did go away for a while, but is back now. The only add-ons enabled are:
Google Find
Sun Java Console
Norton toolbars
Shockwave Flas Object.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IE8 windows prob.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	56379  
Old 09-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Those updates for Office did not cause this issue.
I would unisntall IE8 then reinstall it, that should fix the issue.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks, that did it. I had already done that once with no change. Wondering if there was something else causing it to fail like that but at least I can see what I'm doing now.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Glad you got it resolved
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

This has reared its' ugly head again. I restarted this morning and when I opened Explorer, I got the blacked out menu again. Is there any way to determine what may be causing this? I have not added anything to the system between when it worked and now.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Obviously you have something in the system that IE8 does not like. Revert back to IE7 and use for awhile to see if it comes back. Do a full system scan with some anti-malware programs and then reinstall IE8 at a later date.

You could also run IE8 without add-ons, this will make sure you have not missed any and could be causing the issue.
You can open Internet Explorer without add-ons in 2 ways. One way to open is to navigate to start menu-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> Internet Explorer (no Add-ons). This opens up IE without ActiveX controls and browser extensions.
Second way is Win + R key which opens Run command, type iexplore –extoff and this will open up IE8 without add-ons.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 AM   #9
Registered Member

Started Explorer without extensions and still the same problem. If not an extension, what else could it be?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Same thing in IE7?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

No, I can't go back right now.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Explain why you cant go back right now plz
Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Sorry, I run my business online and could not do it at that time. I have gone back to IE7 and everything is working. I'm just staying there, can't afford the time to deal with this anymore.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

IE8 still has issues IMO. if you can stay at 7 then thats what Id do. Sorry I couldnt resolved this
Old 09-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP home edition Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekgirl View Post
IE8 still has issues IMO. if you can stay at 7 then thats what Id do. Sorry I couldnt resolved this
I'm having the same problem with IE8. In addition, every once in a while IE8 will just stop working and lock the computer competely. The only way out is to pull the plug. Also IE8 has a favorites bar I cannot get rid of, which has now turned transparent, I can see the desktop through it. I'll keep checking this thread for updates.

P.S. How I go back to IE7? If I uninstall IE8, how do I download IE7. I've tried to download IE7 and The Microsoft website tell me that I already have IE8 and doesn't give me the option of replacing it with IE7.

thanks everyone.
I be gone for a week but will check when I get back.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

oldsloguy if you want to start your own thread that would be perfect
..this is higginre'a thread and although you seem to be having the same issue we do not like to address 2 users in the same thread as the systems all have different configurations and a fix for 1 might be a disater for the other...thank you for understanding
BTW, when you uninstall IE8 it should revert back to IE7. If you did not have IE7 installed before IE8 it reverts back to IE6.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP home edition Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekgirl View Post
oldsloguy if you want to start your own thread that would be perfect
..this is higginre'a thread and although you seem to be having the same issue we do not like to address 2 users in the same thread as the systems all have different configurations and a fix for 1 might be a disater for the other...thank you for understanding
BTW, when you uninstall IE8 it should revert back to IE7. If you did not have IE7 installed before IE8 it reverts back to IE6.
Thanks for the tip on uninstalling IE8. Sorry about not realizing this should have been in a separate thread.

thanks again