Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IE8 Back and Forward buttons not working.

5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
HI all,

Got a new Toshiba laptop in September. Came with Win 7. I tried giving IE9 a chance but I really didn't like how it had changed from IE8. So I rolled back to IE8 shortly after getting the Toshiba. Well, last night I was updating and like all the other times I update, Windows wanted me to upgrade to IE9. I went ahead and did this because IE8 was giving me a few fits with google search window redirecting me back to google homepage and the back button not working sometimes. I use Norton's 3 in 1 security and use Microsoft essential as an extra tool for finding Malware and so on. Anyhow my computer is clean as far as being infected goes. I think the google redirect is in "google" itself and has to do with the auto search settings. Just guessing though.

Anyway, I pull up IE9 and locate my favorites. However, its the default list of Favorites, all of mine had been deleted. I do have a favorite visible in my user settings but they are the default too. So, I rolled back to IE8 again. This time though after a few searches and looking at a few pages the buttons stop working again. This time it acted up much quicker. I reset IE8 from the internet tools and my buttons worked again upon opening a new window in IE8. It didn't last long as shortly into browsing they stopped working again. This time I went into my uninstall windows components and unchecked IE8 waited until it was done uninstalling and then rebooted. I then went back in and rechecked the box for IE8 and rebooted (Did a re-install). Well it didn't last long until the back and forward buttons stopped working. I do have google as my homepage and i run all searches from google.

Does anyone know anything about this problem? I run IE8 on this Dell PC I'm typing on, it has Xp and I have the same problem sometimes with my google redirecting a search back to googles home page. On both computers, I use the search window up top for google. I have other searches available in that window but google is the default. I guess the google redirecting could be googles fault but I'm not sure if google could compromise my IE8 back and forward buttons.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I still haven't been able to find my old bookmarks on the Toshiba. I think when I upgraded to IE 9 it erased mine and put the defaults in.

Anymore information needed just ask...

Thanks...Wade...

Wade

See less See more
#4 ·
So many different things are happening. Let's zero in. When you run IE as a user the Favorites are defaults plus yours. In admin mode they're only the defaults unless you add to them. Does that apply to your situation?

#5 ·
Actually Coday when I updated to IE 9, only the default favorites were in user. Any that I had added (Which where a lot) while I was using IE 8 had been deleted and not pulled over to the updated IE9. I used Windows update to install 9. I looked everywhere for them but for some reason they where deleted. I compare it to like a doing a clean install of 9. The thing about that is, I still had a copy of the original 8 and when i rolled back to it my bookmarks did not come back (the ones I added). The good thing is that I back my favorites/bookmarks up a lot. So it wasn't a big deal to import them off a flash stick.

I had experience in 9 about a month ago and did don't care for it. I was willing to give it another chance though as I was experiencing some weird thing with IE 8, ie: The back button failing to work after having browser open for a little while and when searching from the window to the right of the address bar with google set as my default search, it would redirect me back to google homepage. I don't think theres a virus that redirects google search back to google. About a year ago I did get the google redirect virus but it always redirected me to anywhere but google.

So, I disliked the fact that 9 deleted the favorites I had added using 8. Plus I still didn't care for the the feel of 9. I think a lot of shortcuts (for me anyway) where lost when Microsoft went from 8 to 9.

Anyhow, I rolled back again (the right way) to IE8 and now the back button issue (forward button included) is much worse. Quits working after a few pages. Ive reset IE 8 and unchecked it and rechecked it to uninstall and reinstall and the problem is still present.

I'm using firefox on the machine in question in the meantime until I get it figured out. It's having no issues with the buttons. I think the problem is either with IE 8 + Win 7 or it could be a issue with IE8 + 7 + Google.

Ive seen the google redirect problem on this Dell I'm on right now and its running XP. Thats why I tend to think that the redirecting back to google homepage is googles problem. I think using the search window in IE8 confuses googles auto search sometimes and redirects it back to google home. I mention the problem with google redirect just to give all the information I can about other problems my browser is experiencing just in case someone like you who knows a whole lot more about computers can decide if its even relevant to the back and forward button issue.

In a nutshell, my back and forward buttons basically stopped working all together after I let windows update to IE 9 then rolling 9 back to 8.

Thanks Corday...

Wade...

#7 ·
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Toshiba Satellite 650
4.00 GB RAM
64-bit Operating System

The only Toolbar/Extension thats enabled right now is Shockwave. I've disabled the rest for right now...

I'm actually on the Win 7 machine and I'm using IE8 right now. The back button works but this is the only the second page up and I haven't used any search providers yet...ie: Google...

Besides the back and forward button issue do you have any ideas why when windows updated to IE9 it deleted my add on bookmarks from both 9 and even from 8 when i rolled back?

Thanks Coday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.