Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

IE returns web page cannot be displayed

This is a discussion on IE returns web page cannot be displayed within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I use a dial-up internet connection under XP. I know the connection is there because I can view email (Outlook

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

I use a dial-up internet connection under XP. I know the connection is there because I can view email (Outlook Express) and connect to HTTPS web pages (through links from within email), but whenever I attempt a HTTP page I get the error that the web page cannot be displayed (i.e. not connected to the internet). I ran the Windows XP Diagnostics and get the error 12004(?). This problem started last week after a virus scan in progress was incorrectly canceled. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi beetle3247, welcome to TSF..

do you have an all in one security suite which controls anti-virus and firewall etc? If yes, are you able to get normal webpages when you disable it? Remember to re-enable it after you have tried.

Are you able to test using another browser such as Firefox?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I turned off my virus protection from starting up when I boot, and I also turned off my firewall. I then rebooted and did the internet connection and it worked. I received some Windows updates and I was able to open IE. I then turned my virus protection and firewall back on. I then closed everything down and tried reconnecting and it failed, so I figured I had found the problem. I then turned off virus protection and the firewall again, rebooted, reconnected and it failed. I have not been able to recreate the working scenario again. Soooo, I'm still at a loss.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Firewalls can sometimes interfere with the network connection even when in a disabled state so it may be an idea to try uninstalling the firewall, rebooting and testing. If all works well, reinstall the firewall but make sure all previous traces from your system are gone as that should ensure the firewall gets reinstalled with the default settings.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

In-as-much as the initial installation of the firewall and virus scan was a download I have requested from the provider to send the software on a CD so that I can reinstall. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the uninstall of my previous virus scan software before the installation of the current did not entirely "uninstall", which may be causing problems. Thank's again for your insights.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Happy to support TSF!

My System

You're welcome, please keep us posted
Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

I finally received the software from my ISP, uninstalled the firewall and virus scan, reinstalled both and I now have internet access. From the nummber of blocks I am getting on the firewall I am not sure it was working correctly even before the problem occurred.