Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

IE 8 and dial up problems

This is a discussion on IE 8 and dial up problems within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently, a little yellow shield came up on my computer telling me I had updates to download. Without paying much

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Recently, a little yellow shield came up on my computer telling me I had updates to download. Without paying much attention, since I get those from Microsoft a lot, I clicked and it downloaded IE 8. I was using IE 6. It seemed OK, and my son told me that sooner or later I'd have to download it, so I kept it on the computer. I'm the Administrator on our computer, a Dell computer running Windows XP. There are two other accounts on the computer, both belonging to my daughters. Since IE 8 has been on the computer, neither of my daughters can sign up on our AOL Dial up, on their accounts. (Yeah, I know, we're dinosaurs, but that's all we have in our area right now that we can afford.) The dial up starts, and it gets to the point where it connects with the network, then nothing, it just sits there and sits there and they can't get connected, but I can. Is there a fix for this? I thought about getting rid of IE 8, but sooner or later I'll have to update and I'd like to know if there is a fix for this now. Thanks! Any help would be appreciated!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Do your daughters have a AOL dialer they use to connect with?

Also the connection will have to either fail or connect which leads me to ask if there any error messages received or is the connection successful but just not able to browse.