Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

How to turn off certificate warning

This is a discussion on How to turn off certificate warning within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all. I'm wondering which setting to change to quit getting these popups. They are uber annoying. It's on my

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Security Team
Trainee IV

Hello all. I'm wondering which setting to change to quit getting these popups. They are uber annoying. It's on my work computer, which is IE6 (I know, I know. And yet we're a fortune 50 company...).

TIA,
Taylor

Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello Nistlerooy.

This should do it:

Clicked on Tools
Clicked on Internet Options
Clicked Advanced
Scrolled down to "Check for publisher's certificate revocation." and unchecked this.
Clicked Apply
Clicked OK
Closed and reopened the browser

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Security Team
Trainee IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go The Power View Post
Hello Nistlerooy.

This should do it:

Clicked on Tools
Clicked on Internet Options
Clicked Advanced
Scrolled down to "Check for publisher's certificate revocation." and unchecked this.
Clicked Apply
Clicked OK
Closed and reopened the browser
Thanks for the reply, GTP. I didn't see this until just now. I'll check this monday when I'm back in the office and let you know how it went. Thank you!

Cheers!

Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No worries hopefully it works.

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 10-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Security Team
Trainee IV

Hi GTP.

No go, mate. I unchecked that one with no affect. Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Taylor

Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello again Taylor,

Do you get these messages on just HTTPS:// (secure sites), on on normal HTTP:// sites as well?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Security Team
Trainee IV

Hi GTP.

The website (and only website as far as I can tell) that I get this at is blueshield.ca

Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hi Taylor,

Lets give this a shot:
  1. Go To blueshield.ca , When you get the error click on View certificate
  2. Click on Install Certificate and then click Next
  3. Select Place all certificates in the following store and click on Browse
  4. Choose Trusted Root Certificate Authorities and click on OK and then Next and Finish
  5. Click on Yes and OK if you are asked whether you would like to install the certificate
  6. Click on OK. Then close IE and open it up again.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Security Team
Trainee IV

Hi GTP, sorry again for the delay.

I also apologize for giving the wrong web address. Not sure what happened when I put it up there. The site is www.blueshieldca.com It auto-redirects to https://www.blueshieldca.com/bsc/home/home.jhtml

Still no go. Could it be a rights/access issue? It said the import was successful, but no go. I closed all windows, cleared cache, temp files, etc., and tried again, still nothing. Further ideas? I even tried putting it in the Registry (after clicking show physical stores).

Thanks,
Taylor

Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Nistlerooy;2935496I closed all windows, cleared cache, temp files, etc., and tried again, still nothing. Further ideas? [/QUOTE]
it seems like a terrible issues. sometimes i have these certificate problems, and i just cancel it, then everything will go well. lol, good luck
Old 10-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello again Taylor,

Hmm. Usually those top two work for most cases.

Maybe if we try this.....

Open up internet options, click on the tab Security click on Trusted sites (the green tick) then click the bottom Sites sites. and add the blueshield website there. Click apply then ok.

If that doesn't work open Internet explore options again click on content then click clear ssl state

Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
Security Team
Trainee IV

Hi again GTP.

Unfortunately, still no go. I've tried everything you've mentioned and a few other tricks, and it looks like this one is here to stay. :(

I've attached a copy of the certificate for you to look at.

Thanks,
Taylor
Attached Files
File Type: zip cert.zip (1.4 KB, 39 views)

Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello again,

I am still looking into the problem, I am just compared your certificate to the one I got when I went the site and there a few differences.

Do you think it might have something to do with restrictions put in place by the IE guys?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Security Team
Trainee IV

It may. I'm not really able to install many things due to restrictions. Including ActiveX objects. That's my guess. However, this isn't something that's gone on since the beginning, it's only fairly recent. It could also be because we're using IE6, perhaps?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Yea it could be because of using IE6 the certificate might be more up to date than IE6.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Security Team
Trainee IV

Alright. Well, I'll chalk this one up to IE6 then. Thanks for your efforts!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

When I get home from work I will keep having a look around to see if I can find a solution.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Really sorry for the delay. What version of Xp is your work computer?

If it is pro try this:

http://www.theworldofoffice.com/othe...rnet-explorer/

Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #19
Security Team
Trainee IV

Hi GTP. Gosh, sorry for the delay. I forgot all about checking this!!

Yes, I do have XP Pro. However, nfortunately I don't have rights on my work machine to run the group policy editor. same goes for regedit or anything else useful like that. =/

Old 10-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello again,

No worries for the delay. I was just as bad

That sucks about the restrictions. Maybe you can the IT guys at your work to look at it?

Closed Thread