Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

how to delete visited websites?

This is a discussion on how to delete visited websites? within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've been using Mozilla and Internet explorer and I regularly delete history, but I've been told all the websites

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I've been using Mozilla and Internet explorer and I regularly delete history, but I've been told all the websites that are visited can be found and are hidden somewhere on the computer. My question is - can I delete these and how? Somebody's going to update my computer soon and I wouldn't like them to see everything. If it's any help, it's a laptop = Compaq nc6120. Please help!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

Delete your cookies.

Open up IE and click on tools then options. Then delete your files and your history.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

I know that's not enough. Does anyone know what else I have to do to permanently delete all visited sites from my computer so that nobody can see them?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

When you say "update your computer," just what do you mean they are going to do? That might help us to know exactly what level of protection from others you need to have. There are some things that only a format and "0" fill the drive will take care of, so that is the reason for the questions along this line.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

they are going to have a computer for a few days, so they can find anything, and it's my girlfriend's computer, but i've been using it as well. I actually tried locating some of the files using SEARCH and found them, but it seems difficult to delete them, for example it says it's on c:/documents/name and i can't find it when i go to my computer. And another problem is when i type a key word in SEARCH which I want to look for, it remains there and I can't delete it so they can also see what key words I entered. I don't know how to simply delete everything cause I don't remember all the sites that I visited and that I want to delete.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

What search are you using that you can't get rid of the key words, like Microsoft, google, etc?...please clarify that issue.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

SEARCH on start menu
Old 12-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

To make sure you get them all in that area (or even google for that matter), you need to do each letter of the alphabet individually.

Type an "a" in the search box and the menu of searched items will drop down. Just highlight that item you want gone by pulling your cursor down there and hit "delete" and the one you have highlighted will be gone from the search area. Keep doing that until all for the letter "a" ones are gone. You must do that for the complete alphabet to do them all.

With google it is easier, you can just do that (type "a") one time and when it drops down and is highlighted, you can just keep hitting delete and all searches under the letter "a" will go away.

This is a long process in the search area you have used, but it does work.

Then, be sure you clear your recycle bin, then follow the good advice that bry626 advised you to do when you have finished the other items. Once you have followed this process, your searches should be missing....zip.....nada.....Kazam....kapow......gone and done.

Let us know how things go and good luck.