Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

How do I remove favorites bar?

This is a discussion on How do I remove favorites bar? within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP home edition Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

At the top of IE8, I have three bars displayed, the address bar, the menu bar, and the favorites bar. When I try to remove the favorites bar, all entries in the bar are removed except for a yellow star labeled “Favorites”. The entire bar remains, using screen space. How can I remove this bar and the yellow star completely to recover the screen space?

Thanks, I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

you can use regedit:

HK_Current_User-->Software-->Microsoft-->Internet Explorer-->Main

set Autohide to yes
also set fullscreen to yes if you want to get the most browsing area

restart IE

Now everything will be hidden. Move your mouse to the top of the screen and the command areas will appear.

You can toggle full screen mode with F-11, but I am unaware of how to toggle auto-hide aside from the registry. Maybe someone can post the key combination to toggle it directly.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgr8avill View Post
you can use regedit:

HK_Current_User-->Software-->Microsoft-->Internet Explorer-->Main

set Autohide to yes
also set fullscreen to yes if you want to get the most browsing area

restart IE

Now everything will be hidden. Move your mouse to the top of the screen and the command areas will appear.

You can toggle full screen mode with F-11, but I am unaware of how to toggle auto-hide aside from the registry. Maybe someone can post the key combination to toggle it directly.

Good luck!
Hi mrgr8avill, thanks for the response, sorry to be so long but I’ve been gone for over a week.

I think I used regedit a few years ago but don’t remember much. I’ve poked around trying to get into it but haven’t been able to find it.

Is the command string:
“HK_Current_User-->Software-->Microsoft-->Internet Explorer-->Main”
a menu sequence within regedit, or a command line entry? And what is “HK”?

Thanks again, and really appreciate your help!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

It's actually "HKEY" but just an abbreviation.

Two ways: Start-->Run--> type regedit
expand the folders like in my first post.

OR, if you don't want to screw with it, I have attached a file that will do it for you. Download the attached file, rename it from fullscreen.txt to fullscreen.reg and then double click it to "install" the change automatically.

You should, of course, NEVER double click a .REG file unless you know what's in it. You can open it first as a text file (before you rename it) to see that it only contains the command to change fullscreen/autohide to yes.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: txt fullscreen.txt (284 Bytes, 87 views)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgr8avill View Post
It's actually "HKEY" but just an abbreviation.

Two ways: Start-->Run--> type regedit
expand the folders like in my first post.

OR, if you don't want to screw with it, I have attached a file that will do it for you. Download the attached file, rename it from fullscreen.txt to fullscreen.reg and then double click it to "install" the change automatically.

You should, of course, NEVER double click a .REG file unless you know what's in it. You can open it first as a text file (before you rename it) to see that it only contains the command to change fullscreen/autohide to yes.

Good luck!
Hi mrgr8avill,

Thanks for the tip, I’d forgotten how to access regedit. I went through the sequence as you described and found Autohide, but it was already in the “yes” position.

BTW, I’m happy with using F-11 for full screen, so I don’t want to change that one. I like the address bar and menu bar to show, just want to get rid of the duplicative favorites bar.

Not sure what to try now!

Thanks, and would appreciate it if you have any other ideas. Thanks again