Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

freezes while loading google

This is a discussion on freezes while loading google within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello, i could really use some help here, i am running ie 8 and windows xp professional. google is my

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

hello, i could really use some help here, i am running ie 8 and windows xp professional. google is my home page. a few weeks ago this started, i click internet explorer and as usual it starts to load google but about halfway through it freezes and the only way to shut it down is ctrl alt delete, after i get rid of the first google it usually loads ok then but if i exit out of that ie and try again later it is 50 / 50 chance it will not freeze up again, i tried scanning with microsoft security and microsoft fix it but it still occurs, should i replace ie8 with a fresh download or will that do more harm? Please advise or ask if you need more info. thank you

Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I think I'd start by completely cleaning out the cache and cookies under options and see if that clears the problem.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

I tried this but it did not help, I noticed when it freezes up at the bottom of the screen it says waiting for http: ptrack.pubmatic.com/Adserver/Pugtracker etc, etc, Google is on the page at this point but it is frozen. Anybody else ever seen this?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan112875 View Post
hello, i could really use some help here, i am running ie 8 and windows xp professional. google is my home page. a few weeks ago this started, i click internet explorer and as usual it starts to load google but about halfway through it freezes and the only way to shut it down is ctrl alt delete, after i get rid of the first google it usually loads ok then but if i exit out of that ie and try again later it is 50 / 50 chance it will not freeze up again, i tried scanning with microsoft security and microsoft fix it but it still occurs, should i replace ie8 with a fresh download or will that do more harm? Please advise or ask if you need more info. thank you
Hi Bryan,

Does this only happen when opening Google or do other pages open fine?

Download FireFox and see if the same issue occurs. If so, there is something out in the system (may be malware, disk errors, etc.)

If not, then it's probably the IE8 installation.

If it's IE 8 it's probably corrupted; remove IE8 (should revert back to previous version of IE) and see if issue is present with previous version of IE.

If all OK, then you can get IE 8 again if you want, but download it first and then install it from your system disk (installs from a site over the internet can cause problems, so it's best to download and then install.

Good luck!

Bill R TechSpec