Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

flash player problems installing

This is a discussion on flash player problems installing within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to install the latest flash player, and I keep getting the same message. (C:\windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe5) could not be

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to install the latest flash player, and I keep getting the same
message. (C:\windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe5) could not be written due to insufficient permissions. I am logged on as the administrator ,I uninstalled the old flash player, switched off virus and fire wall. Still no joy. I have also tried installing using firefox and chrome same result. I did at one time get an error message from microsoft saying "macromedia Flash ActiveX control not compatable" Would be grateful for any help as the computer is close to becoming a U.F.O.
Thanks,
Bob wilky.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Please follow all of the steps here: Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I tried all you suggested but to no avail but still refusing to instal
just giving the same message. I.m uip against the preverbial brick wall.
Gratefull for any other suggestions.
Bob wilky.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You could try the Active X debugger in this article Adobe Flash Player - Downloads or try the dowload in Safe Mode with Networking - which I find is always a good fall back for both installing and uninstalling problems.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Th anks for your suggestions, tried the de bugger same problem. tried in safe mode got the message "the user does not have sufficient privileges to install Flash Player." I seem to be going round in circles, got to be something simple. I am open to any suggestions.
Thank to you all for any help,
Bob wilky.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

See if it will download after you've activated the Hidden Administrator Account Access a hidden administrator account in Windows Vista or created another Admin account In Windows, how do I create an administrator account? - Knowledge Base
Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

Again many thanks for your suggestion created a new admin account but still get
the message "does not have sufficient privilages to install" Also went through evbery one's suggestions using this new admin account and still no joy. I'm at a complete loss I
dont realy want to wipe the computer clean and start over again done it once before
never again if I can help it, so would be gratefull for any more suggestions.
thanks,
Bob wilky
Old 08-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Try downloading the Flash Player setup file using the "Save As" option. Now, disconnect from the Internet and turn off your anti-virus application in case it may be interfering with the install, then right-click on the Flash Player Setup file, selecting "Run as Administrator."
Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

Back again, have retried all of your suggestions but still the same problems. I did at one time get a message from microsoft trouble shooter "macromedia activeX not compatable with my version of windows dont know what that means as its not installed. Any more suggestions I certainly havn't a clue.
Thanks,
Bob wilky.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

If you can restore to a point before you uninstalled the older version of Flash Player, then follow the steps in the article to reinstall it over itself, reboot then try to download the updated version without uninstalling the old one first - which is something I don't bother doing these days, anyway.

If you get the option for an auto update following those steps, before you try the manual update it may do it for you after the reboot.

Vista: Getting Adobe Flash Player to Work | a Tech-Recipes Tutorial
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestion, after much troubs managed to find a restore point that would actually restore, but again I am still at square one same results same error message. What to do next there can't be many more ideas out there but I am willing to try no matter how outlandish.
Thanks everyone for trying to help.
Bob wilky.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Download this program and let it do the scan to see what it reports PC Utility Kit

No doubt it will find something as they want you to register (pay for) to run the fix, but it may provide some more pointers.

It may also be worth checking the HDD for file errors/bad clusters as something is obviously screwed up Check your hard disk for errors
Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
Registered Member

After closing down the computer for 48 hrs due to frustration. downloaded and actualy bought the utility kit (for much reduced price) did the defrag early this morning still at square one looks like I might be looking at new computer unless some one out there has any more ideas. Much appreciate any help.
thanks
Bob wilky.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

It wasn't my intent for you to purchase the prog - just let it do the scan, but as it didn't work you should contact them and ask for a refund - I did this once with PowerSuite 2010 that screwed my system.

This article (although a little elderly now) looks a bit more promising and I don't think you've done these yet (difficult to keep track ) PC Hell: Flash Player Will Not Install - Fix

Can't remember (and don't have time to check) if you've done a chkdsk /f or /r or a full malware scan and I suppose there's always the reinstall when all else fails.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

yes i have the same problem.
I think it has somthing to do with the runtime enviroments.
I run ie 9 on win7 home premimum.I have uninstalled & reinstalled both ie9 & adobe flash to no avail.Flash downloads & redirects to "insallation sucsessful" adobe page.But flash player will still not work,its like the browser does not recognize it?? Any takers on this issue?????
Nigel......
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Ps. My pc is completely clean of malishouse stuff and have a fully updated top line anti virus program.
nigel.....