Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Connecting a laptop to internet using a phone line

This is a discussion on Connecting a laptop to internet using a phone line within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi At work we are on a network, however occasionally we get people with laptops who wish to access the

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 03:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

At work we are on a network, however occasionally we get people with laptops who wish to access the internet using their own ISP. I assume I could link them up to our network but this seems a bit too lengthy and complicated. We have a spare phone line which dials outside and is all working fine. Using a simple dial up modem cable and linking the laptop to the phone line how can I connect their laptop to the internet? The people who have a need for this tell me they can access the internet anywhere in the world by simply plugging their laptop into any phone socket, so obviously have an ISP set up which works fine. However the other day I linked up one of their laptops to the phone line but an internet connection could not be established when it tried to dial up.

Do I need to "create a new internet connection" and enter the telephone number that is being used to dial up, and assuming they can get internet connection anywhere in the world simply by just plugging their laptop into a phone line, how can I get their laptop to connect to the internet?

Thank you for any help

Matt

Old 12-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

Sounds like it may be the phone system in your office. If they are trying to connect using a phone jack, that is wired through some sort of digital phone system (aka PBX), then they will be unable. A dial-up connection requires an analog line, like one used for a fax machine, that does not go thru a PBX.

Certainly, these visitors can also be hooked into your network (if you trust their machines) and download their email, but, unless they are running VPN-type software, wold not have connectivity to their own networks.

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi

Thanks for your reply. The phone line they are connecting their laptop to is an analogue line...separate from our phone system. The phone line is actually the one used for our fax machine.

I know it can work as someone connected their laptop before and it all worked fine on the phone line - problem is I don't how it was done as I wasn't there.

When the laptop is connected to the phone line, do the properties of the exisiting internet connection need to be changed in any way, for instance does the phone number of the analogue line that is being used need to be entered into the properties anywhere - or is the number detected automatically?

Many thanks.

Matt
Old 12-07-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

OK......Unless they have any special dialing properties set up on their connections (i.e. *70 to disable call waiting, dial 9 for outside line, etc.), then no particular changes should be necesary.

Can you describe the symptoms in any more detail?

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

I can't remember the error code... but basically we plugged in the laptop to the phone line which is normally used for the fax. Double clicked the internet connection shortcut and it seemed to dial for ten seconds but then failed connect. At the time I just assumed the person who owned the laptop had to contact their ISP to give the new telephone number of the line being used - but this seemed a long process to go through especially as they just wanted to connect to the internet for 5 mins.

So (in normal circumstances) normally is it just a case of connecting up the laptop to the phone line and double clicking the exisiting dial-up internet connection on the laptop to establish a connection? Does the ISP not need to be contacted to tell them you are now using a new analogue phone number with that internet connection?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Here in the UK, you must have the phone number to dial in order to connect, otherwise the modem doesn't know what the hell it's doing, theres no way for it to detect anything.

Unlike broadband/cable which is an activated line you dial into locally (allowing for automatic detection), dial-up access requires you to dial out (using a phone number).
Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWaRloRDX
Here in the UK, you must have the phone number to dial in order to connect, otherwise the modem doesn't know what the hell it's doing, theres no way for it to detect anything.

Unlike broadband/cable which is an activated line you dial into locally (allowing for automatic detection), dial-up access requires you to dial out (using a phone number).
Thanks... I live in the UK. So if an internet connection is to be established the laptop owner would have to speak to their own ISP to tell them the new phone number that their current internet connection is going to connect to? Or can the new phone number be entered in the internet connection's properties?

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yeh their ISP would have to be contacted for the phone number (easier if they do this at home and note down the number!), and the phone number is entered in the properties for the dial-up connection. You'll obviously have to create a dial-up connection if there isn't 1 already there.