Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Can't delete email in Yahoo

This is a discussion on Can't delete email in Yahoo within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am having a problem deleting email in YAHOO, or trying to move messages to a different folder, on

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I am having a problem deleting email in YAHOO, or trying to move messages to a different folder, on both my AOL account and in IE. The problem is something new, I was able to do it before, but the other day it just stopped. Previously, I was able to just click on the little box in Yahoo and the entire line would highlight then I could click on the Delete button and it would delete. I could also, at that point, click a box at the top of the email window and select all messages at one time (like a bulk mail folder) and delete them all at once. Now it won't delete, and it won't even highlight the email.

Now in order to delete email I have to open it, then delete from within the email, which is a scary idea, with viruses etc. Please help, I don't know what to do! I've contacted Yahoo with pretty much the same explanation and they asked for the type of error messages I'm receiving, which is none, it doesn't do anything.

Is there a program that might need updating (does it use Flash or Active-x etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

KJL

Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

You can Test your Macromedia Shockwave & Flash Players

Have you tried making a new account to see if you get the same reuslts?
Have you tried accessing Yahoo from a friends computer to see the results?

Old 07-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Checked Flash and Shockwave and updated those but it did not help, like you suggested. I have tried another account and it is having the same problem, but everything works fine from another computer. So I know it's something on this computer that must need updating or something. I just don't know what yet.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Ok where do we start, unfortunately Windows ME does not provide the system file checker feature so that is out.

What measures have you taken to rid of unwanted malware/spyware? Anti-virus program finding anything? Lets rule out this first then we will move on.

Look over the First Steps at Removing Malware , after you clean it out and if you feel you need a HJT log posted for an analyst to look over plz post it. If you feel the system is clean we will start looking for other solutions.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oops sorry, I'm working with a new computer now. WinXP, if that matters, I'll try to do some virus checking stuff and if necessary run a HJT log.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Wait a minute, you can't switch systems on me in the middle of resolving an issue, that just wont jive

You finish this issue with the system involved and if you have other issues you post a new thread.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Oops, sorry. I didn't switch computers recently. I switched computers awhile ago, just hadn't updated my OS on the forum since then (didn't even think about that, sorry). The winME computer is not in play at all nor has it been, on this problem.

There was no problem on this computer when I got it in February, but this problem started a couple of weeks ago. If I still need to start a new post, just let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Now Im really confused

So your issue is deleting emails from within Yahoo, am I correct?
What browser are you experiencing this in?
Have you tried this on a friends computer to see if the issue is still present?

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

I haven't done the previous fix yet, because I haven't had time just yet.

To answer you're previous questions though, yes it is happening in Yahoo's email (to which they say it's not their problem). It happens both with AOL's browser as well as when I try from Internet Explorer.

No it doesn't happen on other peoples computers.

But now for the kicker, as I'm sure you're well aware, with winXP, you can have multiple log-on names or User's (on this computer there are two users both with administrator capabilities) when first turning on the computer. Well this problem is only happening from my log on. The other User log on name isn't having this problem. So, basically, if I log on as the other User on this computer, I can go to my Yahoo email and delete email, but not as my winXP log on.

So I'm assuming it is a problem with my winXP logon on this computer or a program I might be running on my profile (which really shouldn't be that much different than the other user profile). Don't know if this might help at all but I'm hoping. Thanks.

KJL
Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

This confirms a corrupt profile.

How to copy data from a user profile to a new profile