Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

Cannot open external links with Internet Explorer 9

This is a discussion on Cannot open external links with Internet Explorer 9 within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Previously using IE 8 32-bit and suddenly was unable to open links to external documents (PDFs, DOCs, or other websites)

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Previously using IE 8 32-bit and suddenly was unable to open links to external documents (PDFs, DOCs, or other websites) on websites or in my email. Apparently, this has not been that uncommon judging from my hours-long Google searches for a remedy. Now I've installed IE 9 and this time a new window opens as though the external doc is going to display, but the new window remains blank. Nothing! Na-dah! Can anyone help me with this?

P.S. IE 8 64-bit works fine, but I really need to get 32-bit to work.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

try disabling any addons and toolbars. Also try restoring ie to default

Old 06-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Open up Notepad => Click on Format => Make sure Word wrap does Not have a tick next too. If it does just click it to turn of Word Wrap. Close notepad.
  • Click Here to download ToolbarCop. Save it to your desktop.
  • Go to your desktop and extract toolbarcop.zip.
  • Go to the extracted files
  • Double click on Toolbarcop.exe
  • Click on the notepad symbol:
  • A notepad file should pop up, please copy and paste Everything from the notepad file and paste it back into this thread.

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Closed Thread