Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

black internet pages

This is a discussion on black internet pages within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My internet explorer web pages load but all i can see is a black page with the roadrunner icon in

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

My internet explorer web pages load but all i can see is a black page with the roadrunner icon in the bottom middle. Can anyone help me. I am using a dell computer, with windows xp sevice pack 2, and all updates.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazel81
My internet explorer web pages load but all i can see is a black page with the roadrunner icon in the bottom middle. Can anyone help me. I am using a dell computer, with windows xp sevice pack 2, and all updates.
Is this all pages? Or just your home page?
What happens if you type and address in the address bar or click a favorite?

Do you have any other browsers (Firefox, opera) and if so are they affected.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

1. Go to Start / Run
2. Then enter regsvr32 urlmon.dll
3. Click Ok when finished
4. If that single change does not resolve the problem, repeat the process by running regsrv32 with the following dll files.

* Shdocvw.dll
* Msjava.dll
* Actxprxy.dll
* Oleaut32.dll
* Mshtml.dll
* Browseui.dll
* Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm#hyperlinks
Old 01-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have tried changing the .dll files and I still get the black web page. Its on all web pages no matter which one i set as my home page. I have no toolbars, no address bar just a black screen with that stupid bird in the bottom middle. (Its getting on my last nerve.) HA HA I have access to an aol browser (which is not the greatest) and my instant messengers work. I think its a problem with a corrupted internet explorer file. But I have tried to restore my computer and use my backup disk and I still cant access the internet explorer. If anyone knows what I can do PLEASE help. It would be much appreciated!!!!! If anyone needs more information please post it on this forum.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

If that does not resolve your issue you may have to do a Repair Install

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

You may also have some type of spyware/malware installed, follow these steps also

First Steps at Removing the Malware and Posting your Log
Old 01-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #6

The command below should start IE 6 repair tool :

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

Just copy and paste into run box or type in command prompt , one space where it wraps between Internet and Explorer.

To Reinstall IE6:
1) Insert the Win XP CD
2) Open Start / Run and type:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

Press ENTER

If you have AOL, often other browsers will not work unless the AOL browser is open and running.

You can also use windows explorer (right click choose explore on a folder or drive) by typing a web address where you see the file address listed.
Use it to get firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
and
opera
http://www.opera.com

It is wise to have at least one of these alternative browsers for cases where IE messes up.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

I have an error pop up saying error loading setupwbv.dll. The specified module can not be found. I have rebooted from the windows xp sp2 cd and that didnt solve my problem. I have had other errors pop up like the one above and they say almost the same thing. All times i have used the run command. I still get the stupid bird in the middle of the screen. I know the pages are loading because i set it to a gaming site with sound and I can hear the sound but I cant do anything. I really do appreciate everyone's input I am following any lead!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Grin

Thanks to everyone I have figured it out. The problem was roadrunners icon i had to reset it to to default icon. Here's how go to start, run, and type in rundll32 iedkcs32.dll,Clear to reset it. I think roadrunner did it somehow to stop me from accessing the internet. So if anyone else gets affected by them use this to solve the problem. Thanks again all!!!!!