Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer Forum

"back" button not working all the time

This is a discussion on "back" button not working all the time within the Internet Explorer Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When on a forum - for example, and I am 2 or 3 or 4 replies from the opening post,

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

When on a forum - for example, and I am 2 or 3 or 4 replies from the opening post, and I click on the "back" button, I do not go back to the previous page. Sometimes I have to click 4 or 5 times to go back one page. Same thing if I'm on ebay and want to go back one or more pages. I can make a slow deliberate click on the back button (or a fast click) and do not go back a page. If I click 3 or more clicks - real fast, then I can go back a page - sometimes. This only happens in IE. I am up to date. I have no problem on netscape going back several pages using the "back" button.

Old 01-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

i think what is happening is this:

you are viewing page D.

you click back, to view page A or B, but page C is a redirect page pointing at page D, and since IE already has a cache of page D, it loads instantly, keeping you from reaching page A or B unless you click like crazy.

try clicking the tiny down arrow next to the back arrow, and select the page you wish to view.

TSF is funded by our Admin's pocket, care to help?
Power Tip: Subscribe to your thread (Thread Tools) to receive an instant email notification when you get a reply.
New Members: Creating a single new thread in the correct section is the best way to assure your thread will receive a reply.
</signature>
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Volt-Schwibe:

I am having the same issue. The thing is, I have always viewed the same website, and on multiple computers during the same time period. If it were a redirect page issue, wouldn't it affect me all the time? It seems my laptop with Vista and IE8 is the only place I've seen the issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt-Schwibe View Post
i think what is happening is this:

you are viewing page D.

you click back, to view page A or B, but page C is a redirect page pointing at page D, and since IE already has a cache of page D, it loads instantly, keeping you from reaching page A or B unless you click like crazy.

try clicking the tiny down arrow next to the back arrow, and select the page you wish to view.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Pass The Oreos

My System

I'm not really sure if this issue is normal especially for IE browsers, but for me it's normal. Sometimes when I'm browsing and wish to go back just one page (forums, ebay etc) it doesn't respond, I need to click back 2 or 3 times before it goes back on the previous page, and sometimes it will go back on the previous page but not on the last 2 or 3 previous pages. Normally, it happens to me if there's pictures on the previous page or it runs a massive amount of java or flash (java/flash based websites, but it doesn't happen all time on all websites.

Volt's suggestion is one option to deal with this problem.

Arma The Greek
"Look using your eyes but see with your mind."
Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

When I'm viewing individual emails that are stored in a folder--webmail, that is, hotmail or yahoo--the back button does not work in Firefox. To get to a different email in a folder, I have to click on the folder again. At one point on my old pc, I was having to click on the inbox again first. I had thought that this was peculiar to my old pc, but now Firefox has started the same thing with my new system after working correctly for several months in its various incarnations, now 3.5.3. I got annoyed enough that I just installed Opera, but the same thing happens with it. I hardly ever use IE, but when that and another "issue" struck Firefox, I started using IE again, but I don't see the issue in IE8 (so far). Windows may respond to repeated angry left clicks, but not to the page you're wanting to go to.