Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] jpg.crypted after virus cleared

5K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Ried 
#1 ·
I ran an anti-virus program on my wife's laptop and when it finished she had no jpg files for her desktop. I looked at the folder and all the files were changed to "filename.jpg.crypted". I searched her hard drive and not only were all her .jpg files changed but pdf's, txt's and some others. In all 12,410 files were changed. If anybody knows how to change them back I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

#2 ·
Re: jpg.crypted after virus cleared

Problem solved
A friend suggested I try a program called "Disk Digger". It's free but for $15 it's more than worth it. It searches each sector of your HD recovers whatever is available of the file in that sector.
If anybody's interested it's from Defiant Technology.

#4 ·
Avanquest system suite 10. I'm not sure if the A.V. caused the problem. Adobe acrobat was trying to do an update at the same time. Also, that Disk Digger program is not as great as I thought. It found 24,000 files that it claimed needed rescuing but it doesn't give you the name of the file and after it cleans the file it renames it with the sector that it was in.
Also, every time you run it it finds a different number of files.
I'm still playing with it to see if I can make any sense out of it.
Pete

#7 ·
If you haven't reformatted yet, I'd like to check for malware. It is possible the AV did not do this. Download DDS.scr and save it to your desktop.

Double click to run it and post the dds.txt it produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.