Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

External USB drive folder "access denied" after virus??

This is a discussion on External USB drive folder "access denied" after virus?? within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My daughter's laptop was hit by a virus (I think) which seems to have overwritten the boot sector and /

Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

My daughter's laptop was hit by a virus (I think) which seems to have overwritten the boot sector and / or the partition table. I can't even re-install XP pro because the XP cd doesn't detect a hard drive. If I connect this "faulty" drive to another notebook all the data seems intact BUT:

Scanning it with Bitdefender does not detect any malware and all the folders are accessible except the C:\documents and settings\"her personal folder".

This folder returns "access denied" whatever password I use.

Can anyone give me an idea as to how to access this folder before I reformat and reinstall XP?

thanks and regards

Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
  1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties
  2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
  3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  4. In the Name list, click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory <folder name>. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes

Note <folder name> is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
  6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Now see if the folder is accessible.

------------------------------------------------------

Proud member of UNITE

chemist is offline   Reply With Quote