Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

Can't get rid of MyStart as default search engine

This is a discussion on Can't get rid of MyStart as default search engine within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've seen a couple of threads about mystart and incredibar here, so I hope I'm not asking something that

Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I've seen a couple of threads about mystart and incredibar here, so I hope I'm not asking something that you're all sick of already.

A few days ago I tried to download a codec for a video file that wouldn't play, which ended up with my browser (firefox) being taken over by myStart/incredibar. I managed to get rid of it as the default search engine in the search box to the right of the address bar and as my homepage. However, even though my homepage now shows as the default firefox page, whenever I search something, the results default to mystart.

Usually I would not be bothered by this and just use the other search box, but from what I've read mystart/incredibar can be harmful, so I'd like to get rid of it properly.

So far I have deinstalled anything I could find via add/remove programs, disabled any firefox extensions/add ons, and run avast, spybot and CCcleaner. Neither program found anything else to remove, but I'm worried that there are still hidden bits somewhere waiting to jump out at me.

If there's any other information I can provide you with, please let me know.

Thank you in advance. (So glad I found this site!)
Jo.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

Please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post/attach the logs in your next reply.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Proud member of UNITE

chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

The problem seems to have resolved itself overnight - no idea why, but everything's fine at the moment. Should I still follow up on this in case there's anything bad left on my computer that's just hiding, or will I be fine now?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello Jo. We want all our members to perform the steps outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post/attach the logs in your next reply.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Proud member of UNITE

chemist is offline   Reply With Quote