Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

BEWARE of Adaware anti-malware by Lavasoft

This is a discussion on BEWARE of Adaware anti-malware by Lavasoft within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I tried out a trial version and was satisfied that Adaware was highly rated, so I paid for a subscription...that

Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I tried out a trial version and was satisfied that Adaware was highly rated, so I paid for a subscription...that was a few years ago. Just bot a new laptop and called cust supprt @ Lavasoft...was defrauded by new owners of the company into believing they were working w/ Microsoft on an even better product. An hour later I was out $300; a day later my new computer will not boot up Win7 any longer. Luckily it is under warranty and will be sent back for recovery. Lavasoft was sold to a suspicious investor group with ties to other scams, I found out from doing some research.
Incidently, believing I was talking to a Microsoft employee, I allowed them to have remote access to my computer. Really dumb move.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello jkrsr1,

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into this situation with Lavasoft. Your research was spot on - they were sold to 'questionable' people but that was back in November of 2011.

I did come checking around and this is the first many of us have heard anything like what you've described, and we review many, many logs of people who have AdAware installed.

If the machine is still under warranty, then by all means take it in. However, if you'd like to try to resolve this without sending it back in, I may be able to get it to boot for you.

I'm moving this thread to our Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section.

================================

First, tell me exactly what happens when you try to boot into Windows. Do you see a black screen with a blinking cursor, or does it automatically restart?

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

"It is one life whether we spend it laughing or weeping." "Take the time to laugh--it is the music of the soul."
Ried is offline   Reply With Quote