Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the right Approach of learning Web Designing?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  varunvijay007 
#1 ·
I started learning on my own but recently took an online course, which is hurrying me to Bootstrap right after basic html and css. It promises to teach basics of html,css,bootstrap,sql and php in 6 weeks. They meant I have to learnt those in 6 weeks, or else pay double :grin: Javascript is another separate course.

I want to know if learning in this pace and order is the correct approach... Should I learn more of CSS and JS first? Or should i go along with the course and refine the subjects later?

I took the course because I was confused and needed a guided pattern to learn. But as I know a little now, I feel like it's going too fast and too careless.

#2 ·
I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Are you taking this for your own learning and enjoyment, or is this for a job? I know for me I couldn't learn everything I needed to in 6 weeks. I would need closer to four or five months.

As for learning CSS and JS first, I'm not sure if it makes a difference. I would just go at the pace that you feel is best for you, and just learn what you want. Unless you need to know something for a job, or a career then there isn't really a time limit.

#3 ·
Yeah I thought to go with the course and fill in the gaps after the course is finished.
But here is a thing. I learnt the html and css they were teaching. I even made and improvised simple landing webpage as they gave as assignment. And since the first day to till now I'm trying on my own to create new things, better looking pages and all.
BUT, last two days I have been browsing in codepen and such websites, and I'm feeling like I completely know nothing. They are using properties and syntax and all which I have never came across so that I will know about, everything is so strange to me.

How can I learn the advanced and modern designing and practice it?

#4 ·
The simple answer is practice, research. Keep up on the topics you like. Read articles from Smashing Magizine. Watch tutorials and other videos on Youtube. Find the people or places that teach you in a way that works for you. Then soak up all the information they have.

The hard thing is that the simple answer isn't so simple. In theory its easy, but when you get right down to it there is a lot of time invested. I have been doing web development from before the time of CSS, and I can tell you that the web moves faster than most people can learn.

If you don't know what the syntax is that someone is using on Codepen I would recommend that you look it up. That will help you learn and see what is out there. Find whatever part of web design and development makes you happy, and run with it. Learn as much as you can about that one part, but don't forget to stay well rounded. If you ever want to work professionally in design or development then you will need to know a little bit about the core pieces and maybe a lot about one piece.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you for your encouragement. I'm slowly understanding stuff now. It seems great. I will keep on learning. I just completed an assignment with bootstrap. But I found it kind of spoiling the user with its predefined classes and all. So I decided to learn deeper into css and js once I finish this course.

Interestign that you asked about "Web Designing?" and yet you then talk about web development. You need to be clear which one it is as they are not the same. Design is a grapical creative skill. Development is logical and procedural. One makes them look giid the other makes them work
How else you design a functional website without writing html, css and js?

Code:
Design is a grapical creative skill
No. It's not.

de·sign
dəˈzīn/Submit
noun
a plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is built or made.
"he has just unveiled his design for the new museum"
synonyms: plan, blueprint, drawing, sketch, outline, map, plot, diagram, draft, representation, scheme, model
"a design for the offices"
purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or material object.
"the appearance of design in the universe"

Designing is the production of something that can be experienced by a user or viewer, not necessarily always graphical. Whoever told you design is a graphical only creative skill, has taught wrong. For example, every political system is a big complex design.

Web-designing is simply the act of building the website. It's a subgroup of web-developing which consists of designing and maintaining a website. In short, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_design

Code:
One makes them look giid the other makes them work
Aye. True. But making something looking good is a part of making something work. The main thing is one needs to make functional website and make it work (Web-Developing). Making it look (web-designing) good is the sub-group of the "making it work" part. Although web-designing does more than making a website look good.
For simpler example, grooming (developing) a person will need to make him/her knowledgeable (logical) and also appear his/her best (graphical).
Making up a layout in photoshop will be called mockup and may work as a blueprint, it still won't be functional.

#5 ·
Interestign that you asked about "Web Designing?" and yet you then talk about web development. You need to be clear which one it is as they are not the same. Design is a grapical creative skill. Development is logical and procedural. One makes them look giid the other makes them work

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.