Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

trouble with the menu bar on the page, help please

973 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  DDAoN 
#1 ·
Hi:

I am new to dreamweaver and I am designing my website. I am having trouble with my menu bar. It is only in left side of the page and not covering the entire page from left to right. I have attached an image of the page. Also, bellow are the index and the css codes. Thank you for your help.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<link href="MadHatter.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body class="Main">
<div class="Heading">
</div>
</body>
</html>

@charset "utf-8";
/* CSS Document */

.Main {
font-size: 14px;
background-color: #664431;
margin: 0px;
height: 900px;
width: 1000px;
background-image: url(BG%20Texture.png);
}
.Main .Heading {
background-color: #3d1d00;
height: 50px;
margin-top: 75px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-left: 0px;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 16px;
font-style: normal;
color: #FFF;
text-align: center;
border-top-width: 1px;
border-right-width: 0px;
border-bottom-width: 10px;
border-left-width: 0px;
border-top-style: solid;
border-right-style: solid;
border-bottom-style: solid;
border-left-style: solid;
border-top-color: #b38760;
border-right-color: #b38760;
border-bottom-color: #b38760;
border-left-color: #b38760;
}

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TSF, pepelpue00!

The bar actually is covering 100%, as it should be. You problem isn't with that, it's the the body.Main class. There is a fixed-width of 1000px set to it. This is what is limiting what appears to the the div.Heading.

Now, on that note, you should avoid applying an id or class to the body element. It's not invalid or wrong, per se, but it's not right either. Unless you are working with a highly complex template (very rare) or one whose use of scripts is equally complex (also rare) there is really no benefit to using classes or ids with the body element. Instead, just use the element (it is only used once in a valid webpage).

I hope this helps. ^^

#3 ·
Thank you, it did the trick. I have another problem, it is with the logo. I want it to be on the left side on top of the menu bar, but hanging over a little on top and bottom of the menu bar. I can't seem to get it done, it either stays on top of the menu bar or bellow it, never over it. I tried the Z-Index, but it did not do anything. I have attached an image of the current page and the desired webpage. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

#4 ·
I'm glad I could help with the first problem, however, I can think of 2 dozen things that could be causing your issue. I can also think of several ways to produce a website identical to the design you've provided. Could you provide your current code so I can see exactly what is happening, rather than making assumptions?

#6 ·
I'm glad you were able to figure out the issue. If you have no further questions, please mark the thread as solved so others know they can find a solution if they are experience similar troubles. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.