#1 ·
So I just made my new PC today. MSI Gaming 970 motherboard
MSI R9 390 8GB
16GB RAM
AMD FX8320 8 core clocked at 4ghz
EVGA 600B PSU
Adata 32gb SSD (boot drive)
WD green 2TB HDD
Everything went well putting it together but when it was time to turn it on thats when the problems started.
1. I set up windows 8.1 and installed the graphics drivers but every time my pc restarts or switches off and on again the drivers resets as if I never downloaded them and my monitor only displays a 800x600 resolution.

2. If I press restart or shut down my monitor switches off like normal and says "No display found" but my system fans and power light and gpu lights stay on as if they are still on. The only way I can switch it off is by holding the power button.

3. I formatted my WD Green HDD and now my disk management says this

Gyazo - e11d0637f91f108572e4786e8b811966.png

So ive apparently got 1.8TB free...but this is what I get when I try to install GTA IV this is the message I get

Gyazo - 46f1afafdc84bd41d19419cf54dba1f0.png
Gyazo - fdf72a995bb9abc3e377147d1bec369e.png

Here is my GPU-Z and CPU-Z screenshots if this helps.
Gyazo - de981adfab1880bfebb6039169993988.png
Gyazo - 2ddc19c64b4601163daf08f92afaa91a.png

I know its a lot to ask but can someone please help me with this I would be very grateful.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Help with my new PC

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

1. Where are you getting the driver from? Are you using AMD CCC to download it?

2. This may be a Windows issue. Run SFC /scannow from Command Prompt to see if it finds anything.

3. That unallocated space is not being used on your hard drive. You need to allocate it by right clicking that partition.

#3 ·

1. I was downloading them from them AMD website and I fixed it all i had to do was re download them and it went to normal 1080p but I couldnt move my applications outside the space of 800x600 so i went into settings and the screen resolution was still on 800x600, so all I had to do was change settings :/

2. SFC /scannow didnt seem to find anything

3. Gyazo - bec49bf720d220d91ae5ab469dceee41.png
That is what disk managment is saying now but the drive isnt appearing in my
Devices and Drives

#12 ·

I don't think you're understanding me.

I need you to use the DDU software that is linked below this post. Once ran, it will ask to be booted into Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, select AMD and run the program. This will uninstall all AMD folders, files, and software, giving you a clean slate.

Then go ahead and attempt to install AMD CCC and then the driver.

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.3.0.3

#13 ·

Your MSI motherboard isn't seeing the card correctly you have two ongoing threads about this though in the other thread you are mentioning overclocking your FX 8320. Reading your GPU Z it's clear to me. Looks like you might need a bios update ask MSI about that particular card you have. Notice the generic MS GPU and not listening it as 16x 2.0 with a question mark. That's likely your answer there. After following the above advice I would get into your MSI bios and switch gen mode for your GPU.

Go to advanced/PCI Susbsystems/Settings. You can manually toggle between gen modes there. See if that helps you. Try Gen 2 this might allow the card to work properly.

#15 ·

Using GPU-z, hit the submit icon once, that is all that is required for Wizz the author of that software over at TechPowerUp to obtain all necessary info to update his software to show correct readings.

It's not the software it's a hardware issue. Since it's a new iteration of the R9 card R9 290/R9 390 , and his MSI board is likely on auto gen (I know this) sometimes with a new card you have to manually toggle a different gen mode for the PCIe card to function properly and be recognized properly. IE run the card in gen 2 mode. Just a guess.

#18 ·

If your motherboard is new, it is likely that the BIOS needs to be flashed to a new version. MSI, I know from personal experience, has these problems with their new boards and their early BIOS. That will probably solve your power issues as far as it staying on after shutdown and whatnot. Do that if it's necessary and then reinstall the graphics card driver and any software for it. It seems like that's the simple fix. If that doesn't resolve it, you may be having power issues. Either the card is pulling too much or your PSU isn't putting out enough. Your card is rated for 275 W at max pull, so you should be fine unless it's malfunctioning and pulling too much or your PSU isn't putting out enough. Check your running voltages to make sure everything is being powered correctly. If you take my first mentioned steps into consideration, I hope they help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.