Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranferring emails from Outlook to Gmail

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Wizmo 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I've recently set my parents up with a Gmail account but am having problems with transferring their emails from an Outlook PST file to their new account. I've tried following the tutorial at the link below without success - mainly due to the fact that Outlook seems to be very unstable on their machine (hence the change to Gmail).

Export and Backup Emails from Outlook to Gmail Online

Are there any other ways of migrating these emails across to their new account? Note that the migration tool offered by Google does not work as the Gmail account isn't connected to Google Apps for Business.

One possible solution is that I could migrate their emails via my Google Apps for Business account though I imagine it would take forever to then forward these emails onto them (most likely manually using the Forward) option?

Cheers,

Andrew

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Masterchief.

When trying a Send/Receive it came back with errors that the synchronisation didn't work which I assumed to be down to the port numbers used but couldn't be sure? I don't know whether the port numbers would differ between US and UK.

Yes that's the tool I was referring to :)

I think there must be quite a few thousand as it's over a 5-6 year period so I'd estimate at least 10,000 or so emails.

Thanks again.

Andrew

#7 ·
If he is using Outlook, won't it be a simple matter to set up Gmail as IMAP? The synchronization of the existing e-mails could take considerable time and likely would time-out repeatedly, but eventually it gets the job done. My local ISP switched their e-mail to Gmail last year and many clients did this with only minor glitches, like the server time-outs occasionally. All eventually had their folders synched and were quite happy.

Like the poster, I have my e-mails going back over 20 years, including registration keys for dozens of obsolete software I still run. Complete records of correspondence with deceased family members and colleagues with important historical research references, etc are very important to me.

I personally run a fairly obscure mail client called "TheBat!" which is programmed and supported from Moldova. The programmers are said to be former Soviet era high-level coders. The program works for me and does not have a limitation on file size and number of messages as Outlook does. It also uses a dedicated (and encrypted) database and NOT the vulnerable Windows Addressbook. Spam filtering and anti-virus is also very effective.

For those who may be interested:

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/

I have found it highly useful and well supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.