Not open for further replies.

Outlook Rule with Multiple Address List Exceptions

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  sinistapenguin 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a filter set up on my Outlook e-mail which does the following:

- Check mail when it arrives
- Move messages to 'EXTERNAL MAIL' folder
- Except where 'Sender' is in 'GLOBAL ADDRESS LIST'.

Great, all my external e-mail is filtered from my inbox. This means that I can focus on my inbox and deal with important stuff before I sift through all the junk in my external mail folder.

But then I get external e-mail that I want to stay in my inbox (eg. From my wife!).

So I have added another exception 'Except if from 'mywife@myhouse.com' or 'myfriend@hishouse.com' etc.

What I would really like to do is have exceptions that say:

- Except where 'Sender' is in 'GLOBAL ADDRESS LIST' or 'CONTACTS'.

That way as soon as I add someone to my contacts, their e-mail doesn't get filtered out. I can then see an e-mail and think 'Oh, I don't want that one filtered next time', add the sender to my contacts and job done.

However, it seems taht you can only have ONE 'except if sender is in specified address book' exception.

Does anyone know a way round this?

Thanks

Ben

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Ben

this is an option inside Outlook What version are you using?

I have 2013 open now and you can click on Create Rule -> Click on Advanced Options at the bottom -> Select the conditions to everyone not inside the GAL -> Click Next -> Select Action in this case to move to folder Click Next -> Select the exceptions to except yourwife

#3 ·
Hi 'GoTo'

Yes, sorry I might not have been completely clear. The way you suggest is how I have it currently set up, but for each exception I have to manually add the e-mail address or some other criteria.

I have a 'Contacts' list which contains my wife, some external companies that I contact regularly, my friends etc.

I would like to have a condition that says move the e-mail if the sender is not in EITHER the GAL or my Contacts.

So if the e-mail is from someone who is either in the GAL or in my Contacts lists then it stays in my inbox. It would just be neater than maintaining a list of exceptions and contacts seperately.

Thanks

Ben

#5 ·
[SOLVED] Re: Outlook Rule with Multiple Address List Exceptions

I think I have a solution now, although it works slightly differently to how I wanted:

1. Check Messages that have 'specific words in the sender's address'

Specific words = @

(This is because if the e-mail comes from your own domain, it doesn't append the @doman.com bit. By using @ you are effectively saying email that comes from outside my domain)

2. Move to 'External Mail' folder

3. Except if 'Sender is in specified Address List'

Specified Address List = Contacts.

This now means that automatically e-mail that is not from the domain gets moved unless the sender is in my contacts.

What this allows me to do is when I get an e-mail from someone and think 'I want mail from this person to stay in my Inbox' (eg. a new supplier/ friend etc) I just have to right-click their name and add to contacts.

The next mail from that person stays in my inbox!

All sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.