Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Offline

Your PC Performance is Poor - Fix Now

This is a discussion on Your PC Performance is Poor - Fix Now within the Offline forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't know if anyone else gets this flashing advert prompt prior to logging in (as in thread title), but

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I don't know if anyone else gets this flashing advert prompt prior to logging in (as in thread title), but it leads to a tune up program named WINZIP and could be taken to be endorsed by TSF.

I think we've all seen the number of threads complaining of problems, where it has been found they have been caused by such programs indiscriminately deleting registry items and damaging systems - leading to dire warnings by all, never to use them and to dump existing programs.

While I appreciate TSF require income from adverts, perhaps the Admin staff could be a little more discerning in the commissions they accept or how they are displayed.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
TSF Articles Team

My System

Send a message via MSN to Deejay100six

I think maybe the sites/apps of a rather dubious nature are perhaps the most generous with regard to advertising revenue.

I was on a well known Windows 7 support site the other day and found a link to a program called "RegCure".

I agree with you, if its possible, admins should be a little more selective.

Submit New Articles Here Help us by posting your System Specs

Save the Earth........ It's the only planet with Chocolate!!
Deejay100six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Not being funny but the owner of TSF needs money to keep the site up so that will be why there are adverts on it. You can't really be selective on what you choose to advertise unless it's derogatory or something like that.

People get viruses and download stuff they don't need to because they dont think or use common sense.

I don't see any of the ads anyway because I use firefox and ad-blocker.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

If you look into the outfit that owns this forum and see all the other forums they also run you will realize that advertising is how they make their money. If you use a program like Ghostery, you will see that TSF, specifically, has 7 things tracking you. You rarely get anything for free, not even the chance to dispense free advice.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I've already said that I appreciate that TSF require the funding from adverts.

The point I was trying to make was that it can appear to those not so wise or experienced, that because a forum like TSF was advertising it the way it is - some may consider it safe to use.

Would anyone who has responded in this thread recommend using any tune up program that has full access to the registry ?
Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
TSF Articles Team

My System

Send a message via MSN to Deejay100six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
Would anyone who has responded in this thread recommend using any tune up program that has full access to the registry ?
I wouldn't use any tune up software, period.

Submit New Articles Here Help us by posting your System Specs

Save the Earth........ It's the only planet with Chocolate!!
Deejay100six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

not sure if tsf has control over the advertisements. I normally do not see any ads on tsf unless I am not logged in - which is very seldom. I have seen the mentioned ad in the past and always thought how contradictory it was when compared with the advice given here. then I move on.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Most sites like this one use Google Ad Sense or similar providers, site owners have no say over specific ads as Google uses site info(like posts and thread titles) to determine what ads should run and the frequency of a ad.

As for using reg cleaners and tune up programs no we don not recommend them most of the time they do no harm but don't do much good either, once in a while a poorly written one will harm registry settings or remove .dlls needed to run certain programs.
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
not sure if tsf has control over the advertisements. I normally do not see any ads on tsf unless I am not logged in - which is very seldom. I have seen the mentioned ad in the past and always thought how contradictory it was when compared with the advice given here. then I move on.
That's pretty much how I viewed it but just thought I'd comment on it because of the danger it poses to the unwary.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Tomken15 brings up a valid point about advertisements. This site uses Google ads among others. I Googled "HDMI pinout" recently and then got an ad here for a certain brand of HDMI cables. Some people might think that the site is specifically advertising that brand as a recommendation.

TSF does make it nice for users in the "working" part of the forums as there are no ads other than on the main page.

Looking at properties of the ads on the main page here, I noticed one by ad.doubleclick.net. I was surprised to find that doubleckick is now a subsidiary of Google, as I always considered it spyware and purged its cookies as soon as I found them on my system.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Tomken15 brings up a valid point about advertisements. This site uses Google ads among others. I Googled "HDMI pinout" recently and then got an ad here for a certain brand of HDMI cables. Some people might think that the site is specifically advertising that brand as a recommendation.

TSF does make it nice for users in the "working" part of the forums as there are no ads other than on the main page.

Looking at properties of the ads on the main page here, I noticed one by ad.doubleclick.net. I was surprised to find that doubleckick is now a subsidiary of Google, as I always considered it spyware and purged its cookies as soon as I found them on my system.
doubleclick has been a part of google for years. IMO, it is spyware but it is something you just cannot get rid of because as soon as you access a webpage, it's back.

I do agree, the ads do seemed to be a recommendation. maybe there should be a sticky about ads in general on tsf
Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

as has been said, don't use any registry fixer or any of that crap, they just screw things up. If your system aint working right its usually something you have done, its finding what you did that screwed it up so you can fix it.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote