Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Offline

The Aviation Thread.

This is a discussion on The Aviation Thread. within the Offline forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just talk about anything related to aviation here! Questions, comments, rants...anything goes! So I guess I'll start with a little

Old 11-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just talk about anything related to aviation here! Questions, comments, rants...anything goes!

So I guess I'll start with a little bit about me and aviation.

I've been deeply interested in aviation for a while now. Although I've been flying since I was a kid in the 80s, I didn't start noticing how amazing flight actually is until a few years back when I made a trip with my family to California. The roar of the engines and the sight of New York City from the air immediately drew my attention.

My primary interest in aviation is commercial aviation...which I'm willing to bet that 99% of you find really boring and bland.

Currently, my favorite jetliners are the Boeing 757 and the McDonnell Douglas MD-11.

The Boeing 757 was intended to replace the Boeing 727. It was originally designed with a t-tail, similar to the 727's tail. It was called the "7N7" until it was officially deemed the 757 in the 80s. It was also developed parallel to the Boeing 767, a wide body jet. They both share very similar cockpits, allowing pilots to obtain a common type rating for both aircraft. It is mainly used for short and medium range routes.

The McDonnell Douglas MD-11 is a wide-body jet that was intended to replace the DC-10. Although McDonnell Douglas had considered replacing the DC-10 since the 70s, the first flight of the MD-11 took place in the 1990. Both share very similar exterior appearances, although the MD-11 features a larger fuselage and an extended wingspan. Unlike the DC-10, the MD-11 features a glass cockpit and only requires a two person crew, eliminating the flight engineer. Sadly, the MD-11 was not successful at all. It failed to meet its performance estimates and had a very troubling start in terms of safety. It is now mainly used as a freighter. The MD-11 is used primarily on medium to long range routes.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Ubuntu 12 LTS; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit; Puppy Linux 3.4.1 32-bit

My System

I know someone who's very enthusiastic about commercial aviation as well, and my best friend is military aviation, so I get exposure to both, none really strike my fancy though, but are still amusing.

You might enjoy VATSIM it is simple in concept but a hard practice. What it is, a virtual airline and airport world using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (and X I think) where you can be a pilot or an air traffic controller - but using very strictly regulated methods and real-world terminology etc.

I've had some experience in it myself, being an ATC for my city ( added-ATC in the game)

Old 11-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Retired Mod.

The boeing 787 is amazing!

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Zealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

My top aircraft are not passenger carriers.

#1:

#2:

Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
TSF - Emeritus

My System

A couple of my aviation photos

Lest we forget...

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

11th hour, 11th day, 11th month
We will remember them

DonaldG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
TSF - Emeritus

My System

Oh... And the last flying Vulcan... XH558

also see the Vulcan's website here

Lest we forget...

We will remember them."

We will remember them

Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
TSF - Emeritus

My System

Now, if you really want to see the top aviation photographers work, see here.
most forum threads have at most 5 #6 pages.... This one so far has 1384 pages of jaw dropping images. The link above puts you at page 1372. That is just before the MATA (Mustangs-Air-to-Air) team come back from Alliance, Texas. (4 days ago)

Our leader, Jim Wilson, the best there is, organised a B25 'Pacific Prowler' with the tail and side turrets removed as a photo platform and sorted out various photo sorties.

If you don't think they are 'jaw dropping wow' images, you should go to specsavers

Lest we forget...

We will remember them."

We will remember them

Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Ubuntu 12 LTS; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit; Puppy Linux 3.4.1 32-bit

My System

Just astonishing, exquisite.

I especially enjoyed going to the National Aviation Museum up in my country's capital, you could see anything there from a Kittyhawk to the inner-working of the powerful Alison engine.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS II

Nice viper pics Donald!

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Team Manager - Home Support
Moderator - Hardware Team

OS: Win-7 (64bit), XP-Pro SP3, Linux Mint V.16 (Cinnamon)

My System

Either this is a very very skilful (+ flashy) pilot or the cockpit's gonna need some major cleaning, when he gets back down

I posted this one quite some time ago, so it'll be nice to revive it for our new members - I think he'll need more than a cockpit cleaning....

What part of 'WOOF!' don't you understand?
WereBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Wow, those are some really nice pictures there!

Also, here's some aviation news. Qantas is grounding their new fleet of Airbus A380s.

Quote:

Qantas Grounds Jumbo Jets After 'Engine Failure'

(Nov. 4) -- Qantas has grounded its entire fleet of the new A380 jumbo jets after an in-flight drama in which terrified passengers heard an explosion and onlookers saw debris falling out of the sky. The plane carrying 459 people made an emergency landing today in Singapore and miraculously, no one was hurt.

The Australian airliner, bound for Sydney, suffered "significant engine failure" shortly after takeoff from Singapore, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce told a news conference, according to The Daily Telegraph. "We're not going to take any risks with passenger safety, and as a precaution, we're suspending the flights of the A380 aircraft until we're comfortable that we understand the reasons for this."

It's the first major problem for the double-decker Airbus, which began commercial flights three years ago as the biggest jetliner in the world. Outfitted with four state-of-the-art Rolls Royce engines, the planes can carry up to 840 passengers and cut travel time on long-haul flights by several hours.

Today's emergency landing comes as the global aviation community is already jittery over two cargo bombs intercepted in Dubai and England last week, amid speculation they were designed to blow up planes in flight. But officials say the Qantas drama, while still being investigated, is thought to be because of mechanical problems rather than possible terrorism.

The Qantas incident also unfolded over parts of Indonesia, where the massive Mount Merapi volcano has sent lava and ash high into the atmosphere, snarling some airline paths and canceling local flights. In 1982, a British Airways flight suffered engine failure over Indonesia because of volcanic ash, plunging thousands of feet before its engines miraculously restarted. Indonesian aviation officials and a Qantas spokeswoman told MSNBC it's unclear whether volcanic ash might have caused today's engine failure.

Huge scraps of metal the size of a door rained down on the Indonesian island of Batam near Singapore. "I heard a big explosion at around 9:15 a.m. and saw a commercial passenger plane flying low in the distance with smoke on one of its wings," MSNBC quoted a local resident as saying. "The debris started falling on my house."

Thousands of feet up, passengers on the plane also described a harrowing journey.

"Everything was going smoothly in the first 15 minutes and then there was a sharp bang. I thought some metal container fell down in the cargo area, but the carriage started to vibrate and there was a bit of a smoke," a Scottish passenger, Lars Sandberg, told the BBC. "People around me were visibly shaken and we all realized that whatever happened wasn't normal. There was a mother with two children who was quite worried."

Sponsored Links
He said the captain came on the plane's intercom every few minutes to reassure passengers that the problem was being investigated, and the plane circled for about an hour to burn off fuel before landing. "When we got off and saw the engine itself and the back casing burnt off, that was pretty scary," Sandberg said. "I'm just happy to be alive."

Qantas owns six Airbus A380s, which are supposed to be the airline's flagship model. Today's flight originated in London, stopped in Singapore and was supposed to continue on to Sydney when it was forced to turn back to Singapore.

There have been no fatal incidents involving A380s since they were unveiled in 2005 and began regular commercial flights two years later.

"This is probably the most serious incident involving the A380 since it began flying in commercial service," aviation expert Tom Ballantyne, chief correspondent of Orient Aviation magazine, told Reuters. "There have been minor engine incidents before but nothing like this."

The same model is also flown by Air France, Emirates, Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa, but none of those airlines has so far said it will follow Qantas' action by suspending flights.
Link: http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...ilure/19702506
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Enthusiast

My System

I have to agree with Wolf, if you haven't already doneso, I suggest getting a copy of Flight Sim X from Microsoft. It is a lot of fun. It allows you to be the pilot in a great many different aircraft and depending on the skill level that you select, it is VERY realistic and challenging. I will say that you WILL need a robust computer in order to get all of the possible benifits such as visuals and speed that it offers. To this day, it is one of the most difficult pieces of software that you can run. It will use every ounce of computing power available.

With that being said, as an ex crewmen of the US Coast Guard, I highly reccommend an envigorating ride in a helicopter if you have a chance. I am not talking a scenic tour, but a real ride, from a pilot that is willing to show you a couple of things. With luck, you will be allowed to ride in the front and if possible, get to take control.

It is something that you will never forget.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat mcgroin View Post
I have to agree with Wolf, if you haven't already doneso, I suggest getting a copy of Flight Sim X from Microsoft. It is a lot of fun. It allows you to be the pilot in a great many different aircraft and depending on the skill level that you select, it is VERY realistic and challenging. I will say that you WILL need a robust computer in order to get all of the possible benifits such as visuals and speed that it offers. To this day, it is one of the most difficult pieces of software that you can run. It will use every ounce of computing power available.
FSX...oh boy, where do I begin?

Although it does have some (a lot) limitations, it is really the next best thing to flying real aircraft or a Level-D simulator. The default aircraft are sketchy, but if you buy some of the more high end add-on aircraft out there, you will be completely lost. PMDG's aircraft for instance, has by far the steepest learning curve of any video game I have ever experienced. 90% of the systems that are found in their real life counterparts are accurately simulated. It is just mind blowing. The manuals that they come with a enormous. The MD-11 that I just purchased from them came with seven manuals totaling to about 1,500 pages.

And don't even get me started on the resources needed to run FSX. I have a quad core with a relatively decent ATI 5770 and I'm still running things mostly on low, except for the aircraft details.

Long story short, if you are any bit interested in aviation, pick up FSX or even FS2004. Both are great, but get ready for a steep learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -WOLF- View Post

You might enjoy VATSIM it is simple in concept but a hard practice. What it is, a virtual airline and airport world using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (and X I think) where you can be a pilot or an air traffic controller - but using very strictly regulated methods and real-world terminology etc.

I've had some experience in it myself, being an ATC for my city ( added-ATC in the game)
I have thought about joining VATSIM, but I don't think I'm ready for that level of simulation yet. I still have tons of things to learn about ATC terminology and how it all works.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Retired Mod.

Epic ATC tower is epic

http://www.airliners.net/photo//1769776/L/

Epic ATC towers are a part of aviation too!

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Zealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
FSX...oh boy, where do I begin?

Although it does have some (a lot) limitations, it is really the next best thing to flying real aircraft or a Level-D simulator. The default aircraft are sketchy, but if you buy some of the more high end add-on aircraft out there, you will be completely lost. PMDG's aircraft for instance, has by far the steepest learning curve of any video game I have ever experienced. 90% of the systems that are found in their real life counterparts are accurately simulated. It is just mind blowing. The manuals that they come with a enormous. The MD-11 that I just purchased from them came with seven manuals totaling to about 1,500 pages.

And don't even get me started on the resources needed to run FSX. I have a quad core with a relatively decent ATI 5770 and I'm still running things mostly on low, except for the aircraft details.

Long story short, if you are any bit interested in aviation, pick up FSX or even FS2004. Both are great, but get ready for a steep learning curve.

I have thought about joining VATSIM, but I don't think I'm ready for that level of simulation yet. I still have tons of things to learn about ATC terminology and how it all works.

I don't see how I can find almost any system that can run both games but alright.

VATSIM is intimidating, yes, but as I know from experience initially it isn't as difficult - most airliners or airports your associate with will have some kind of school or training program, like mine did.

I'd like to know what's so bad about FS's default aircraft...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
Moderator Offline

Yes helicopters are fun to fly in. We had about 18 of them in the unit I was in back in the 70-80's.

Pilots, in the reserves, are required to fly additional hours beyond drill weekends. One of my friends, would pick me up at a small airport 2 miles away and we would fly 100 miles away, land, grab a bit to eat and fly back.

Yes I was able to be at the controls, except take off and landing of course.

Nap of the earth flight (NOE) if you get to one, is scary.

BG

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't see how I can find almost any system that can run both games but alright.
It's not a matter of how powerful your system is. It's all about the perfect combination of your hardware.

Quote:
VATSIM is intimidating, yes, but as I know from experience initially it isn't as difficult - most airliners or airports your associate with will have some kind of school or training program, like mine did.
I honestly don't think I'll have enough time to invest in a virtual airline.

Quote:
I'd like to know what's so bad about FS's default aircraft...
There are a ton of things wrong with the default aircraft. Here's a little comparison between the default Boeing 747-400 and the PMDG MD-11 (which I will be more about in depth later). It will become clear as to why the default FS aircraft are bad.

Both are advanced American wide-body jets and had their first flights within a year of each other, the McDonnell Douglas MD-11 in 1990 and the Boeing 747-400 in 1989. Although their systems vary greatly, they both have about the same basic capabilities, systems wise.

In the FS world, the PMDG MD-11 represents the high-end spectrum of payware add-on aircraft available.

With that background information in mind, here we go.

Click on the picture to get the fullsize image.

Modeling

We'll start with the modeling. Although it is not as important as systems simulation to some people, both are equally important for me. When I pay for an add-on, I expect a complete package of visuals and systems functionality.

Exterior model

The exterior modeling of the PMDG MD-11 is vastly superior to the default 747. The default 747 is also too small.

Default Boeing 747:

The PMDG MD-11:

Cockpit

Although the cockpit of the default 747 is relatively decent, it still doesn't match the visual quality of the PMDG MD-11. There are also no animations in the 747 cockpit with the exception of the basics such as the throttles and the yoke.

Default Boeing 747:

PMDG MD-11:

Systems

The systems simulation and cockpit functionality is where we see the biggest differences between the default 747 and the PMDG MD-11. This is what will make up the bulk of this post.

Overhead panel

The overhead panel is where a majority of the systems that are crucial for the functionality of the plane are located such as the fuel systems, electrical systems, and hydraulics systems are located. Pre-flight is usually centered around the overhead.

However, most of these systems are virtually absent on the default 747. The only switches that are operational are the exterior lights and the fuel starters (circled in red). This is disconcerting since the three IRS selector switches are permanently set to off. In this position, I wouldn't have any of my instruments functioning.

Now, compared to the PMDG MD-11 overhead panel, every switch on the overhead panel is operational. Most of the systems found on the real MD-11 are simulated.

FCP

The FCP, or the Flight Control Panel, is where the autopilot functions are located. Both the Boeing 747 and the MD-11 are highly automated and can practically fly itself. They are also equipped with autoland.

As with the overhead panel on the default 747, the FCP is very simplified. Many of the buttons on the FCP do not work. As a result, the functionality of the autopilot is very limited. It can only hold your heading, altitude, V/S, and your speed in addition to approach mode.

The PMDG MD-11 however, has a fully functional FCP and all the switches are functional. In addition to the basic autopilot functions, it can perform an autoland and works parallel to the FMC, which I'll talk more about in detail later.

Navigation

For navigation, all modern airliners use a FMC, or a Flight Management Computer. It works in conjunction with the autopilot and allows the plane to practically fly and land itself. It also allows the pilots to "text" company dispatch. In PC based flight simulators, it is one of the hardest components of an add-on aircraft to develop and program.

In the default 747, there is no FMC. Instead, we get a Garmin GPS that is more suitable for GA aircraft. Here is the FMC on the 747...a low quality bitmap.

The PMDG MD-11 has an almost fully functional FMC due to the limitations of FSX. Also, some functions on a real FMC would be impractical in FSX such as the ability to "text message" company dispatch. However, a majority of its functions are simulated. Because of this, the FMC on the PMDG MD-11 can be used to in conjunction with the autopilot to fly and land itself.

Hopefully that explains why the default aircraft in FSX are really not the best.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
Enthusiast

My System

LT. Carmen,

When I posted the above, I had thought that I had seen you in some different places.

Yes FSM X could use some help, and it is a huge shame that it is no longer being produced.
The Direct X 10 implenmentation was more or less an experiment when it was released and no further development ensued. A damn shame if you ask me.

It is very difficult to produce something that is all encompassing and still kepp the cost to something that is reasonable. Overall, I think that MS did a decent job.

I had FS9 for a short time and bought FSX immediatly when released. It was a major step up in many ways. To say that I am not an advanced flyer would be an understatement, but I really looked forward to the next version.

I rather think that you are aware of the many tweaks that can be utilized to help performance such as processor affinity, and some settings that can cripple a system such as "aircraft casts shadows on itself".

I have never tried VATSIM and can not speak of it, is it worth the time?

I have tried a few of the FSX add ons, with some better than others, but they all seem to shine in one area and miss in others.

With regards to a virtual airline, have you been to this site?
http://chicagoflightsfsx.com/

It is a site for FSX and has a virtual airline that you can be a part of.

It is run by a guy 'Sven" that you may already know of, who is very knowledgable on the subject.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Very good summary Carmen, thank you.

I want to see some VTOL aircraft in FSX/04
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

I can't imagine a system that could run this game on Max settings, I would be amazed to see that.

Maybe we can all pitch in some money and take turns sending it to each other.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Elvenleader3 is offline   Reply With Quote