Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Offline

Power outage

This is a discussion on Power outage within the Offline forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Been just about 7 days now without grid power. Still no grid power, been operating off a generator for the

Old 11-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #1

Been just about 7 days now without grid power. Still no grid power, been operating off a generator for the last 6 days.

New England had a devastating snow storm in October. Not that it was anything out of the ordinary for snow storms. We get them all the time in NE. But because most of the leaves were still on the trees and the snow was exceptionally heavy, it brought down a lot of limbs and some trees. The branches in turn brought down the power lines and made a lot of roads impassible.

One of the main transmission lines to the substation in my area was ripped off the insulator and fell into the river. That was the main thing that killed power to the area. Now that it is reconnected they have to go by area to area to see if the circuits can be energized.

Some of the towns people have had their power restored, I am not amongst them.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Moderator Offline

Bummer !

I was out six days back in Sep 08. Being with out for 1 day is livable but after that first, I fired up my 3500w generator. I ran it about 1 hour on for 2
off, had to keep the food cold.

Since the weather was nice cooked out a lot. We had our morning coffee every day thanks to my one burner kerosene cook top.

At least you got internet!

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

I'd have it anyway. I can use my phone as a modem.

Not conserving anything. I now have access to gasoline as the power is slowly being restored by the major roads, the ones that have few trees.

Plus it's the weekend and I don't feel like conserving. Turned the genny on at about 8am and will run it all day as long as someone is home. Got 16 hours out of the last tank of gas, about 6 gallons.

The weather is OK during the day,mid 40's to mid 50's. Nighttime temps dropped into the lower 20's last night but lately it has been in the 30's just above freezing. One night didn't go below 45, only lost 2 degrees in the house. Most nights I loose 6-7 degrees.

This sucks
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Automotive Team

You guys STILL don;t have any power?
What ya got Virginia Dominion power working on it?

Hampton Roads Virginia, I've been around the rock three times and this place was NOT on my top ten list of places to live
wolfen1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #5

No, we have CL&P working on the problem, probably pretty similar to your experiences

Power came back last night at 7pm. So I was without grid power for 7 days and 2 hours. The only things I couldn't operate, and only because I didn't try to set them up, were my washer, dryer and stove. The rest of the house was pretty much functional.

The people around me though had no generators and a lot of them moved to friends and family with heat and/or power.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Automotive Team

Nope you didn't have the same issue I did, when my power goes out its either somebody from down in Carolina or Tennessee that gets it back on Dom Va Pwr can't even find my neighborhood

Hampton Roads Virginia, I've been around the rock three times and this place was NOT on my top ten list of places to live
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

On a little brighter note, the next bill will be lower.

On a lower note, they'll probably want a rate increase to pay for all the repairs.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #8

I am deducting my generator fuel from the bill 7 days at 6 gallons a day. Plus when they try to charge me transmission costs at my shop.....
Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
On a little brighter note, the next bill will be lower.

On a lower note, they'll probably want a rate increase to pay for all the repairs.

Just to add my 2 cents about them raising rates to pay for repairs (not a rant)
If they do that its one big load of crap.....another lie.....just more of making somebody else rich at our expence.