Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Offline

Has your computer ever caught fire?

This is a discussion on Has your computer ever caught fire? within the Offline forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just for funi thought i'd start a thread thats kind of a poll as well, about if you or someone

Old 06-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via MSN to Amoeba

Just for funi thought i'd start a thread thats kind of a poll as well, about if you or someone you know has actually seen a computer catch fire without any outside help, I.E. Power malufunctions etc. I myself have recently had my laptop catch fire from a dc board malfunction and i thought it would be fun to see how many other people have actually seen their 'puter go up in smoke and why.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I've never had a computer actually catch fire, though one had a short on a long speaker wire and emitted an enormous amount of smoke as it burned up the speaker wire. I was sure I just cooked a lot of expensive components, and it turned out to be a 10 cent wire.

I have seen a couple of old Samsung EGA monitors actually catch fire. Truthfully, I was only present for one of the events, I came in right after the other one was extinguished. It turned out that the monitor had a design flaw, and we retired the rest before they burned the NYSE down!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus, The Conversation Pit

I had just built my brand new computer and the PSU blew up before I even installed windows. There was no fire just a big flash and than a puff of smoke. I was pretty nervous when it happened. It would have sucked to have to tell my wife that I had just flushed $1600 down the drain. Luckily I just had to spend another $100 or so which she was not pleased about. Then to agrivate her more I had to spend another $50 on a heatsink because I was having heat issues.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via MSN to Amoeba
My laptop is still down in in LA getting repaired, it was quite interesting what happened to it. i was sitting there playing the new splinter cell with my friend. when all of a sudden my computer just died. Automatically restarted a few seconds later and smoke was comming up from behind the screen, then there was a gout of flame, the plastic around the dc in port had caught fire. managed to unplug it pretty quick and extinguish the flames before any permanent damage was dont to the screen. Still hoping i didnt fry my hard drive however.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:10 PM   #5

This guy did

Asus A7V333 Motherboard Fire

http://buserror.org/~ebrown/asusfire/

My K7S5A blew its FET's apart on the mainboard, scorched the FET cases and a ribbon cable...
MD_Willington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Nariaco
I've seen a computer catch fire before...

My friend had an older computer, and left the side open, and didn't use it for 3 years, and it was pretty old (pushing 10 years).. However, one day, while I was over at his house, he descided to bring out the old dinosaur, and see if it would still work. After he got everything plugged in, he switched it on... All of a sudden, smoke started pouring from the side of the open case, and flames aswell. We quickly ran over and put out the flames by smoothering it with out shoes...and that was the end of that computer to say the least.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Had an emachine powersupply arc on me when i was plugging it in. Good thing I was wearing glasses other wise it would have hit my eye. Put a pretty good pit in my glasses too.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

My computer has caught of fire.
If i ever push my screen back it will over heat and start a fire on the lower left side of the screen.
Currently it is only giving me a white screen and sounds like it is working normally but i just can't see anything.
I tried to resent it, take out the battery, and keyboard smashed it.
It gave me an only white scree in the past and cleared up after a few hours but now it's not working.
I tried to put another monitor in it and it didn't work.
Hope I'm not the only one with this problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

I had a REALLY bad customer who I told to stop using his laptop after he broke the power pin off the motherboard. He said he'd give it to his son instead to just to do basic stuff in one place since, if you held the power cable far to the side, it would still power the laptop and charge the battery.

SURPRISE!

That corner lit on fire. It's almost as if that's the textbook definition of a short in the circuit waiting to happen lol. He got to it before it was spewing out flames but there was smoke and melted plastic.

BONUS SURPRISE!!!!

It was an Acer lol.

pssssst...secret bonus surprise reaction shot attached :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	89003  
Old 03-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Grammar Nazi!

My System

I had a monitor catch on fire early one morning back in '93. That acrid smell of burning electronic parts woke me up and it went out shortly after I pulled the plug. Real scary though, so now I don't leave my stuff on overnight unless its running a process, but the monitor still gets turned off.
Dragoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

I've smelled smoke coming from the insides of the tower and in the next minute I did the usual Windows shut down proceedure. Luckily they did not spontaenously combust or something related.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dbmaster
Cool

My son's gaming computer, that we had built together, had crashed and rebooted three times before it crashed and smoke was coming out of the case. I inspected it and turned it on after blowing the dust away. I saw smoke and smelled the acrid fumes. I bent closer and peered inside and I saw flames where the SATA cable connected to the LG burner. I used a can of compressed air to put out the flames. I pulled the SATA cable and it had melted the black plastic connector. I will examine the burner to determine if is OK and if it is culpable. I have never seen a flame inside of a computer before. This flame started seconds after powering on the computer. Darndest thing I ever saw.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

lol you might want to reconsider that strategy in the future. Compressed air cleaners are basically petroleum distillates and air. They specifically say not to use near flames because of that :P

Oh and I forgot to post this the first time. I used to work at a hospital and one time at around 2:00 AM, the server power supply decided to blow a hole clear through the wall. I came in at 8:00 AM and everyone looked kinda pissed so I asked why and they told me about it :P
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My goodness! After reading the stories I feel lucky. And nervous.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
Registered Member

Not computers, but I've seen very expensive telecommunication devices ($10,000-30,000) catch on fire caused by the technicians trying to repair them.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Years back I had thrown together a PC and out of desperation to be computing again used a cheap PSU. First time I fired it up... BOOM.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

I had an apartment with carpeting and poor wiring. Nice cold winter, dry from the baseboard heaters, rolling back and forth in the office chair on the carpet. Unplugged my headphones from the ProTools dongle (musta been an original MBox back then) and went to plug it into the MoBo's headphone jack. I saw the spark jump from the plug to the chassis, felt the zap in my right ear, computer went into reboot loop. One of the gold connectors on one of the RAM sticks was burnt up and the whole stick smelled like fried electronics.

Not a computer, but electronic mayhem nonetheless:

I own a no-longer-matched pair of Bozak speakers. Rudy Bozak made speaker systems in the mid 20th century; MASSIVE, amazingly sweet sounding things with cones made from some weird paper slurry... My system, one of the smaller pairs he sold, has a 12" woofer with 2 1" tweeters mounted semi-coaxially (they're side-by-side, centered with the woof). The frame is cast-iron, the magnet coils weigh ... well, a lot. The enclosure is about 30"x36"x18", 3/4" plywood. The shipping weight of the cone is 25 or 30 pounds, the whole speaker has to be pushing 80. Basically, it's Really Big and Really Heavy when you think about home entertainment speakers.

I was repairing (HAH! Or so I thought) an old home-grown tube amp someone had left on a shelf for a few years. I don't remember how powerful it was, but it was powerful. Powerful enough that, after about 3 minutes of working correctly and an unbelievably sweet sound coming from the vintage setup, something started smoking, and before I could react, the right Bozak, I kid you not, JUMPED. I don't know exactly how much power it takes to cause a 20+lb magnetic coil to make an 80-pound box jump 3 inches to the left, but the fuse blew, my ears hurt, and I had to buy a replacement woofer and crossover on ebay

Oh, and the expletive amp went out the expletive window

jw
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
Registered Member

I dropped a glass of coke on my laptop and laptop was on-charging... Sparking began in a few seconds and I had to power-off the main switch of my house... Its been half a month now and is working perfect... Thanks HP for their International warranty or my business deal was gonna go in some big trouble in the middle east... I had a spare one too... But HP one was my favorite...