Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows loads endlessly

SOLVED 
3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  kendallt 
#1 ·
My Windows 10 desktop has an issue. If I turn it on, after the Windows logo splash screen, I get a black screen with a cursor and circular loading icon that never finishes loading. I'm in Safe Mode with Networking now just to get this post through.

I've ran Seatools on all the drives and they all pass. How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

#3 ·
Clean boot did not work. Still hangs after the Windows splash screen. The only way to get into Windows so far is with Safe Mode.

Attachments

#4 ·
The only way I can get into Windows is through Safe Mode. Afterwards, I set the options for a clean boot and restarted the computer when prompted to do so (restarted from Safe Mode).

It still hangs at the same screen after the reatart.

Does it pose a problem that I restarted from Safe Mode? Is there a chance that the settings I applied for a clean boot don't register upon restarting if I'm restarting from Safe Mode?

How long should I wait for this black screen? I've already waited 30 minutes and nothing...

#5 ·
If you can run from Safe Mode, then there is a driver that is keeping you from starting. A Clean Boot does the same thing as Safe Mode, eliminating most drivers and just using the basic Windows startup.
So, to recap Clean Boot, boot into Safe Mode,
Go to Start/Search and type in msconfig and press enter.
Go to the Services tab, put a check in Hide all Microsoft services, then click Disable All.
Now go to the Startup tab, click the Open Task Manager
Select each item in Startup and Disable. Close Task Manager and start normally, it should start in Clean Boot.

#6 ·
If you can run from Safe Mode, then there is a driver that is keeping you from starting. A Clean Boot does the same thing as Safe Mode, eliminating most drivers and just using the basic Windows startup. So, to recap Clean Boot, boot into Safe Mode, Go to Start/Search and type in msconfig and press enter. Go to the Services tab, put a check in Hide all Microsoft services, then click Disable All. Now go to the Startup tab, click the Open Task Manager Select each item in Startup and Disable. Close Task Manager and start normally, it should start in Clean Boot.
To recap, restarting after following the article instructions for performing a Clean Boot DID NOT WORK.

However, I was able to perform a system restore to 3 days ago and everything works fine at the moment. Aside from running a full scan with MBAM, is there anything I should do to refrain from this from re-occuring?

#8 ·
Don't updates in W10 run by themselves? I never do any updates nor do I recall installing any 3rd party software in quite a while.

#10 ·
Yes, to run Updates manually go to Settings/Updates and Security/Windows Updates/Check for Updates. Click the Advanced Options/Check Update History to see what was installed.
Will it still show what was installed around the time I started to experience the initial issue if I just finished doing a system restore?

#11 ·
If you are still having problems booting then uninstall that update.
Go to Start/Search and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. On the Left Panel click View Installed Updates. Right click it and Uninstall it.
If the Update comes up in Windows Update again, right click it and Hide it.

#12 · (Edited)
One thing I would do especially as you are running Windows 10 is to check your system manufacturer website for updated drivers. If it's a custom made system find the motherboard brand and model and go to the site for that board and install any new or updated drivers. If it's a brand name system such as Dell or HP they have a utility that will check the system for any drivers and system software that will download and install it for you.
A lot of the time it can be a video card issue with the driver or even video or other hardware issues.

#15 ·
Get rid of windows 10!

C'mon guys, it's not that bad. A little tweaking will provide a nice solid and secure system.
I like Linux, (prefer BSD), but in my experience, Linux guys will spend a day or two setting their system up the way they want, then cut on windows because it needs too much tweaking....
My only problem with w10 is that I can't set update time, the way it is it insists on using my metered time with no choice on my part, most of my w10 complaints sound like 'tin hat' paranoia, but ever have 10 minutes to upload a 500 meg file in order to meet a deadline and suddenly have it drop to 8k/second because windows update kicked in?

For the OP, you need to log your boot and find out what driver or service is hanging the system. Sometimes simply deleting the drivers and letting it load defaults will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.