Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

Windows 10 will not boot

This is a discussion on Windows 10 will not boot within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey folks, My wife's laptop (Lenovo 17.3" Y700 (80Q0006VUS) Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 16

Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey folks,

My wife's laptop
(Lenovo 17.3" Y700 (80Q0006VUS) Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home Gaming Laptop)
suddenly stopped booting the other day. We created a bootable USB stick as this thing has no DVD drive. That gets us into the utilities, but repair fails. We've been going around and around on this for a couple of days and I'm hoping someone can just start me at the beginning. My tech level is maybe 5/10.

Thanks in advance!
leftworld88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

What type of repair, and when the repair fails, any error messages?

Is the hard drive recognized in the BIOS.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
alpenadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

When I let it attempt to boot on its own:
Error: 0xc000000e
Message: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Options: Enter to try again (doesn't work)
F8 for Startup Settings (doesn't work)

Boot from USB:
Startup repair says Diagnosing and Checking disk for errors. Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC. No separate error code. Log file: C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt

Use a device > Lenovo Recovery System does not work either.

cmd > list volume gives:
Vol 0 Ltr C Windows NTFS 189 GB Healthy
Vol 1 Ltr D LENOVO NTFS 25 GB Healthy
Vol 2 Ltr None SYSTEM_DRV FAT32 260 MB Healthy
Vol 3 Ltr None WINRE_DRV NTFS 1000 MB Healthy
Vol 4 Ltr G LENOVO_PART NTFS 21 GB Healthy
Vol 5 Ltr E DATA NTFS 931 GB Healthy
Vol 6 Ltr F ESD-USB FAT32 3840 MB Healthy
Vol 7 Ltr None LRS_ESP FAT32 1000 MB Healthy

Does that answer your question? Thank you!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Use Windows USB Flash Drive and boot. Choose your Language.Select option to Repair Your Computer instead of installing.
Press Shift + F10 to go to the Command Prompt immediately

In the command prompt first determine which drive has the OS on it, it may not be C: At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on.It may not be on the C: drive. Once you have determined which drive the OS is on, then type the Drive letter (ie) D: (or whatever)
and press Enter
at this prompt type the following commands press enter after each one to repair MBR.
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
Press [y] when system asks you to accept.
type Exit, restart the computer.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

bcd |find "osdevice" yields osdevice partition=C:

bootrec /fixmbr completes successfully.

bootrec /fixboot completes successfully.

bootrec /rebuildbcd says "Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 0 The operation completed successfully."

Additional info: I had purchased this EasyRE essentials .iso and made a USB out of it. In case you're not familiar, this has an auto repair tool as well. Basically you have to select the drive with the Windows installation. From the info online, it looks like you should see your drives and then something like Windows 10 64-bit on C: When I use that tool, I can see D: which is just a data drive and I don't see C: at all, let alone a repairable Windows installation.

Please bear with my response delay as I'm on GMT-9. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Just to reconfirm in the Windows RE(Recovery Environment) from the Windows install X:\sources Command Prompt.
Type C: and enter.
at the C:\> prompt type DIR and press enter, do you see a Windows directory? If not, at the prompt type D: and press enter etc and type DIR. whichever drive has the Windows directory is the OS drive. Type those commands at that prompt and restart normally.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

I see a Windows directory under C:, yes.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:57 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you run the Bootrec commands from the C: prompt?

If bootrec /RebuildBcd does not fix the error, you can also try to completely rebuild the BCD. TO do so, you need to run these steps:
  1. Type this command: bcdedit /export C:\BCDBackup
  2. Type c:, where c: is where your Windows is installed
  3. Type cd boot
  4. Type this command: attrib bcd -s -h -r
  5. Type this command: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  6. Type this command: bootrec /RebuildBcd
Old 05-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Registered Member

I ran the bootrec commands again from C: just to check. I got the same thing... 0 identified Windows installations.

1. Type this command: bcdedit /export C:\BCDBackup Successful
  2. Type c:, where c: is where your Windows is installed
  3. Type cd boot gives C:\>Boot>
  4. Type this command: attrib bcd -s -h -r File not found - bcd
  5. Type this command: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old Cannot find specified file
  6. Type this command: bootrec /RebuildBcd 0 Windows installations
Old 05-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Well, look like the Boot file got corrupted or wiped.
Lenovo has a Novo Button. For one button Restore to Factory Settings. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT062552
Old 05-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

OK I hit the Novo button. It gives me an option menu like this.

When I hit System Recovery, I get error 0xc000000e, unexpected error has occurred.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I think you will have to run checkdisk on the hard drive.
Follow earlier instructions to get to "Repair Your Computer" and choose the cmd prompt and then point to "c" drive and enter c:\, and click Next
Write the following command and press Enter afterwards: chkdsk C: /r

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #13
Registered Member

On, F12, boot from USB, repair computer, cmd, then

C:\>chkdsk C: /r gives:

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yes you have to dismount it first to do so.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
Registered Member

OK dismounted. Chkdsk seemed to proceed normally.

I'm not going to type all of that unless someone specifically needs it. The last bit says "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems" and "0 KB in bad sectors" and "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50".

Should I restart at this point?
Old 05-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, restart and see how it goes.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

Same error on restart (0xc000000e). Booted back to USB.

After making changes, I don't need to go back to the default UEFI settings for restarting, correct? I can leave it on Legacy mode?
Old 05-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, Looks like you will have to reinstall Windows
Old 05-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yeah I leave all mine on legacy, too much of a pain to set back and I don't feel it makes anything difficult except for the user trying to fix it.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #20
Registered Member

OK so I went into install Windows, formatted the SSD partition where the previous Windows installation should have been and then started the install. The computer restarted itself at some point during the installation and I got the same error when it rebooted on its own.

After another restart, and just for kicks, I selected the Windows Boot Manager as the boot source. This gave me a black screen and the following:
"BIInitializeLibrary failed 0xc00000bb".

Back into boot from USB, there is an option to "Use another operating system". This indicates that there are 2 Windows 10 installations on Disk 0 (SSD), Volume 3. Trying to boot from either one of these gives me the same error.

Couple of questions here...
1. could this be some sort of communication issue with the SSD? Or an outright failure? This is an M.2 in a 1 year old computer...
2. If I installed Windows on D: (currently just data), is that going to wipe the contents of that drive (there is plenty of free space on D:)