Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 File Explorer

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  OldGrayGary 
#1 ·
When I right-click on a file or folder name it will display the options as normal after booting my pc. After being on awhile, the drop down menu displays oddly. I'm attaching two screens to show the problem. file explorer 1.png shows the normal; file explorer 2 shows after the problem starts.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hi - and welcome to the TSF forums

A Possibility
By any chance, just before the menus misbehave, does your Desktop wallpaper change? I've heard that some users have experienced odd screen refresh oddities in File Explorer when they have their Desktop wallpaper set as a slide show (which changes to a different picture by time increments that you can select) ... especially if the menus are set to select a color from the Desktop background. This refreshes the screen in whatever time increments are set for the slide show. And for the moment, some users are having issues with File Explorer screens as a result.

To test this, see if you exit out of File Explorer after it has mis-displayed menus. Then restart File Explorer, and see if everything is back to normal. If so -- check and see if your Desktop background changed around the same time as the menu misbehavior.

Plug-ins/Utilities
Some users using various utilities (I've heard of File Explorer conflicts with Cubby, and with DVDemu ...) have had File Explorer display troubles - which disappeared if they either uninstalled the problem utility - or simply turned the utility off when using File Explorer.

Is anything other than the menus in File Explorer having problems?

And --- just to see: have a look for errors concerning File Explorer in Event Viewer.
1) Right-click the Windows Start Menu icon
2) Select Event Viewer
3) In the Event Viewer screen that appears, make sure the top item - Event Viewer (Local) - is selected.
4) In the "Summary of Administrative Events" window on the right, click on the plus sign in front of "Error" in the "Event Type" column.
5) Go through the error list & see if any are related to File Explorer (or happen at exactly the same time as your File Explorer issues). To view each instance of an error, double-click it.

System Restore
If this problem only surfaced very recently, and you haven't had any major changes since, you might find that a quick System Restore will help (especially if none of the above steps help). System Restore will not affect any personal data (docs, pics, music, etc.) ...
To try a System Restore =
1) Click or tap the Windows Start Menu icon
2) Select Settings
3) Select Update & Security
4) Select Recovery
5) Select Advanced Startup, and then select Restart Now
6) From the Choose and option screen, select Troubleshoot
7) Select Advanced Options
8) Select System Restore
... and choose a restore point from a date before the current trouble started.

Other possibilities.... driver issues (touchpad & mice drivers have been a little rough here in the early going for Windows 10 ... but for these issues, generally an update eventually arrives that fixes things ... till then, some revert back to older drivers.

See if any of this helps, and let us know if not (there are other things to try)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.