Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 error 800401F3

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  richb44 
#1 ·
I'm getting error 800401F3 trying several things after anniversary update. Both are using a mapped drive. One is trying to install a program with the setup file stored on the mapped drive. The other is using program KeePass with the password file stored on the mapped drive (works fine if file is on C drive). I tried stopping virus software and firewall but that didn't help. I'm thinking some network setting got changed but don't know where to start.
One more thing this is on a windows 10 Pro PC, I have a windows 10 Home PC that does these two things fine. Any suggestions on where to start?

#2 ·
Kindly post a screenshot of the exact error message that appears. I tried searching that error and it seems to be related to IIS ASP server connections and nothing to do with network shares. Try unmapping and remapping the drive. While you're at it, double check your network sharing settings such as location type (private).

#6 ·
That error appears to be caused by KeeForm for IE, which was last updated in 2013, and is not related to the mapped drive accessibility problem. You may wanna remove KeeForm and use an alternative password manager, but if you must use KeeForm, then try removing it and adding it to IE afresh.

#7 ·
spunk.funk I disconnect and map the drive at every startup.

stancestans As I said earlier I do not get these two errors on a Windows 10 Home PC. I also found I no longer have IE installed and can't find any place to get a download file to install it. I don't know if KeePass/KeeForm require IE or not, I'll see if I can find that out.

#8 ·
There's no point of comparing two PCs, it's obvious that one has a problem and the other doesn't. IE (Internet Explorer) is a built-in part of Windows, and as such it doesn't need to be installed separately, nor does it appear in the list of Programs and Features in Control Panel. You can search for "Explorer" in Start menu (or Windows Search), or type "iexplore" in the Run dialog box. That should launch IE and you can remove KeeForm. If IE is completely missing, that's a sign of deeper system corruption pointing towards possible reinstallation. If you haven't already, backup your data. You can also revert the upgrade if you haven't yet removed the old Windows folder.

#9 ·
I don't think I have IE any more. When I search for iexplorer I get no results found, search for explorer only finds file explorer. I don't have a restore point earlier then when it installed the updates. I uninstalled KB3176935 and KB3176937, but it didn't give me the option to uninstall KB3176936. With the 2 updates uninstalled I still have version 1607 so I don't know how to get back to the version before that. Also ran sfc /scannow it found nothing.

#10 ·
Internet Explorer is installed in the following locations:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

On 32-bit Windows, only the first location is present, while on 64-bit Windows you'll find both locations and each has iexplore (the IE executable/launcher). Look in those locations and confirm if you do or do not have IE.

Tell us more about your network share setup. Is the mapped drive pointing to a network storage device, for example an NAS or disk attached to a router, a location on a third pc on your home network, a home (file) server, etc. You can try renaming the file server, and remapping the drive on both PCs. You may also want to rename your Windows 10 PCs because they are given automatic and somewhat meaningless computer names during the upgrade.

To uninstall the anniversary update (revert to earlier version), follow the tutorial here How to uninstall Windows 10 Anniversary Update v1607. If this resolves the issues, you can defer the upgrade for now.

I strongly advise you create Windows 10 installation media (DVD or USB flash disk) just in case you have to perform a fresh installation, and in my opinion, you're better off starting afresh than trying to fix a broken installation resulting from a botched in-place upgrade (if it is). It's a lot of work, especially if you have a lot of programs to reinstall, but in my opinion it's a minor inconvenience and worth the resultant peace of mind. Windows installation media will also come in handy for rescue operations. You can download Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#11 ·
My mapped drives are a WD MyBookLive and a USB drive both attached to my router. I tried to go back to a previous build but that failed. So I did a clean install and everything is working fine right now but I had an older ISO so I now have to wait for all the updates to come through. Will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.