Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win10 upgrade loop-crashing explorer.exe

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  des 
#1 ·
If I log in as the normal user or the Administrator account, I get explorer.exe closing and reopening about once per second. I can get it to close permanently with Task Manager if I'm fast enough with the mouse.

MS has an article on this saying to run Windows Update because it's a known problem with an already released fix. Unfortunately you can't run windows update without explorer.exe running (apparently). They refuse to say what the name of the patch is or I'd download it and run it off my flash drive with task manager's run prompt Browse button. So I either need that download, a command to start the reversion back to Windows 7 from a command line, or a command line way to bring up the windows update UI that works in 10.

By the way, the problem was found to be with file permissions on certain app data related folders and as soon as I tried to alter the permissions on those specific 3 folders with problems, it gave some generic error saying it failed. So apparently I can't fix it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.