Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win10 upgrade license BEFORE upgrading

SOLVED 
894 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Stancestans 
#1 ·
I've been hesitant to upgrade any of my PCs from 7 to 10, because it is not a clean install.
I want to be able to upgrade, but from a clean install, so that I have the ability to revert back to a windows 7 capture of my system if I find 10 to be unsavory.

Is there a way to register my hardware or obtain a windows 10 license key, via an upgrade without having to go through the process of having 10 installed on top of my 7 system?

#2 ·
If those PCs came with Seven pre-installed (OEM) licenses, they probably have a COA bearing the product keys for activating Windows. You can use those keys when clean-installing Windows 10, and if you encounter activation errors, you can always contact Microsoft support for help with the activation.

If they do not have a COA, you can retrieve the product keys using software programs that read it off the registry, then note them down and use them as described above.

#3 ·
So I can basically use the media creation tool to create an iso, install 10 and activate it with my 7 license key then... Alright.

Do you have any idea if you will not be able to activate 10 with a 7/8.1 key after the free upgrade is over by Microsoft?

#4 ·
So I can basically use the media creation tool to create an iso, install 10 and activate it with my 7 license key then... Alright.
Correct.

Do you have any idea if you will not be able to activate 10 with a 7/8.1 key after the free upgrade is over by Microsoft?
No, you will not be able to. After that time window expires (less than 3 months from now), you'll have to buy a license for Windows 10.

#5 ·
Sounds good. Thanks for answering my questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.