Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win10 and Homegroup problems

SOLVED 
5K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Lydokane 
#1 ·
Until recently I had one laptop and one desktop in the house. Both are running Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1). I was sharing files/folders through password sharing. All was well.

I received a newer laptop (running Win10 Home) for x-mas. I decided to make my older laptop a media PC and connected it to my TV. To make it easier to trade files throughout our network I decided to use Homegroup instead of password sharing. I setup the Homegroup on the media PC. I was able to join pretty easily from the desktop. After trying for several weeks I still can't get the new laptop (running Win10 Home) to see the (Win7 Ultimate) Homegroup over WiFi. I've tried several ideas including disabling the Windows Firewall and disabling my AVG Free version.

At one point I connected the new laptop to the network with an ethernet cable and I could see the homegroup from the Win10 laptop. I connected to it but when I shut down and disconnected the ethernet cable I could no longer see the homegroup. I have scoured the settings of my router and I can't find any settings that relate to homegroup. I have performed several google searches and read many articles and threads on Win10 & homegroup issues. None of the solutions have worked for me.

To sumarize: I have a Win10 Home laptop, a Win7 Ultimate laptop, a Win7 Ultimate desktop all connected through a NETGEAR R6220 router. The two Win7 machines are connected to the network through ethernet and are able to see each other and share files. The Win10 machine can not see the homegroup through WiFi but it can see the homegroup when wired to the network.

Can somebody tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks,

PR

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry, not quite sure what you mean here. I had the Win10 laptop turned on and went to the Win7 Ultimate laptop and brought up the Network and Sharing Center. The homegroup is setup through a Home network (as opposed to a Work Network or a Public network). I do not have a 'Private network' option.

When I went into the Win10 Network and Sharing Center it is set to 'private network'. Neither machine gives me a 'Change Homegroup Location' link.

On the Win7 machine if I click 'Home network' (from Network and Sharing Center), a window pops up offering three choices: Home network, Work network, or Public network. From the Win10 machine Network and Sharing Center I can't click on 'Private network'.

I forgot to mention, the Win10 machine has internet access. Not sure if this matters.

#6 ·
On the computers that are connected to the Homegroup via wireless, go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing/Advanced Sharing. Make sure all the settings are the same on the Windows 7 computers and the Windows 10 computer when it is connected wirelessly in Advanced Sharing. Reconfirm that the Windows 10 computer is connected to a Home or Work network (Private).

#7 ·
As mentioned earlier, only one computer is attempting to access the HomeGroup via WiFi: the Win10 machine. The other two machines are connected via ethernet. The media PC controls the router and the desktop pc does not have a wireless NIC. In short, there are no other computers that access the network via WiFi.

#10 ·
HomeGroup only works on networks set to the Home network location.

Check the computer names of your desktop and laptop. If the names are same, then change the name of either one.
Disable any security programs and check if you are able to connect.
After performing all the steps below, you still are unable to join homegroup, I believe the issue is to do with IP/V6.
Check your adapter setting for IP/V6. Your network connection must have IPv6 enabled to create or join a homegroup. If it is disabled, follow the steps below to enable it.
1) Right click on the network icon and select Open the Network and Sharing Center.
2) In the resulting window, select Change adapter settings.
3) In the Network Connections window, select the Local Area Connection for the onboard NIC , then Change settings of this connection or file>properties.
4) In the connection property page, check the box for Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
Close all the windows and reboot your system.
Join a Homegroup:
Join a homegroup
Download this Homegroup walkthrough for better understanding. Here’s the download link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=0fc656a0-1a37-47a4-a939-1b1a859fddc5
Additional information:

1.HomeGroup from start to finish - Windows Help

2. HomeGroup: frequently asked questions

#11 ·
Thanks for the replies.

All the computers are set to the home network location. None of the computer names are the same (or even similar). I have tried to disable virus scanners and firewalls. IP/V6 is turned on (has been from the start).
The two Win7 computers are able to see/join the HomeGroup.

With the computer in question, I can connect to the network via a wired connection and see and join the HomeGroup. If I shut down and disconnect the cable then the Win10 computer can NO LONGER SEE or join the HomeGroup. Could the problem be with a router setting? I've tried to get specific information about my router and this problem but I haven't had any luck.

Thanks,

PR

#12 ·
I've tried to get specific information about my router and this problem but I haven't had any luck.
On the Windows 10 computer connected via Wireless and Ethernet cable , Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the elevated Command Prompt type or copy and paste
ipconfig /all> 0 & notepad 0 and press enter
copy the Notepad results and paste it into your next post.

You can also Power Cycle your Router/Modem (eg) unplug them, wait 15 seconds and plug them in, Modem first if separate devices. when all the lights come back on, make sure you have wireless internet connection and check for Homegroup again.

#13 ·
First off, here is the information you requested (further down are some new developments):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP-CD5TQ5MI
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-BB-58-C9-0E-47
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DC-FE-07-04-0B-36
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f5d6:ade0:a537:dfa7%3(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 6, 2016 7:34:48 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 7, 2016 7:51:43 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 165477895
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-82-94-D6-DC-FE-07-04-0B-36
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-BB-58-C9-0E-47

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-BB-58-C9-0E-48

Tunnel adapter isatap.{19E848BE-7227-4374-BDAA-0B0BC9CD60C2}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:4fa:36a9:cd5c:705c(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4fa:36a9:cd5c:705c%9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 369098752
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-82-94-D6-DC-FE-07-04-0B-36
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I guess I kind of got it working. While getting this information for you I was in the Win7 computer and I saw that the Wireless Network Connection was turned off. Something I had done on purpose weeks ago so that I could be sure that computer was using the faster wired connection. I decided to turn it on because I noticed some peculiarities on the Win10 machine when it was connected to the network via wired and wireless. After getting the networking information I shut down and disconnected the ethernet and rebooted. Now I can see and swap files from the Win7 to the Win10 and vise versa.

I'm only speculating at this point but it seems as though wireless and wired networks are completely separate even if they are going through the same router. If this is the case, I had no idea. I just assumed that the router was the network and it didn't matter if the devices were wired or not, they were all connected to the same network and therefore (once properly configured) would easily connect to each other.

If anybody out there could educate me to the nuances of home networking, for future reference, I would be grateful.

I guess technically this issue is resolved... for now.

#14 ·
In the IP log, the Default Gateway's IP address is your Router. (eg) 192.168.1.1. You would type this into your browsers address bar to access the browsers setup. Once logged in you can change the Wireless Channel to 6 or 11.
Also, with an Ethernet cable plugged in and wireless enabled and connected, if you do the IP Config command as outlined in post # 12 on each computer, you can compare and see if the computers Wireless Configuration other then it's IP address which will be unique to that computer, are the same (eg) Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS server. These ip address settings should be the same for Wired and Wireless on all computers on your network.
If this solved your problem, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

Attachments

#15 ·
Spunk.Funk,

Thanks for the help. For now I'm going to consider this issue as SOLVED. I'll look at the IP Config for the other computers and compare them later. If I happen to have any other issues in the future, I'll open another thread.

Thanks again.

PR

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.