Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win 10 occasional black screen

SOLVED 
5K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 ·
Upgraded to win 10 a couple of weeks back. Once or twice a day the screen goes black.

Easy to resolve by hitting the "Sleep" button on the kybd and then coming out of Sleep mode (by clicking on the mouse) fixes it.

Would obviously prefer a solution that avoids the issue in the first place.

Checked the Drivers on the Radeon card, latest version installed however I did see this in the properties \VEN_1002&DEV_94C3&SUBSYS_216A1458&REV_00\4&36a62d7e&0&0008 requires further installation.

Googled with no joy.

Any thoughts on this one?

#4 ·
Ah well, I had another black screen but windows ran an auto recovery and 2 secs later it was back to being fine. Nonetheless I thought it better to try and fix it properly...ERROR

I use the recommended tool to uninstall the drivers and downloaded the correct drivers for the Radeon 2400.

Unfortunately although it recognizes the card the install program will not load any drivers for it.

The device Manager gives the correct name but says no drivers are loaded, even though I have been through the manual installation of the drivers several times

I have reverted to the MS driver but now my screen has a low res, no option to upgrade the resolution. (It did not have with the AMD "drivers" either)

#5 ·
Update.

Changed more settings and allowed a deeper troubleshoot by windows and it is now back to where it was (looking OK)

Looking at other threads and forums suggests the card drivers and win 10 do have an issue..it is an old card

Further research tend to suggest that it may well be time to buy a new card (and probably a lot cheaper than wasting another afternoon on it!!)

#7 ·
That seems to be the case. Based on past experience I think my time would be better spent zipping down to the local PC store and buying a newer card that has up to date drivers, rather than wasting time on a problem that may well not have a solution.

Think of the upside, I get away from the screen, I meet real people and I probably save a lot of money and stress.

Way to go

Many thanks for your input.

#9 ·
Sad to report but after installing a new card MSI GT 610 Geoforce and updating the drivers to the latest from msi I thought I was on to a winner. Unfortunately after 1 day the same black screen returns

I am still seeing exactly the same error in the Device Manager for the card under Events, although details etc are saying the device is working properly

Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_104A&SUBSYS_809F1462&REV_A1\4&36a62d7e&0&0008 requires further installation.

I received the exactly same text with the old card

If I switch off the PC with a forced stop and wait 5 mins or so and reboot all is good again.

#11 ·
I found that nvidia has newer drivers than MS1 (only after downloading the nvidia checker) I have installed these now. I have also run the sfc and DISM commands, so will see what happens over the next few hours/days.

If the black screen occurs again I will run the driver uninstaller, although I noticed that the download gave an alert through windows defender

I also took a look through the device manager Events tabbs and noticed that several of them had similar results to the graphics card.

I am including then FYI

nvidia geforce Gt 610

Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_104A&SUBSYS_809F1462&REV_A1\4&36a62d7e&0&0008 requires further installation.

Network adaptor Wifi
Device PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002D&SUBSYS_0301168C&REV_01\4&a314b16&0&08F0 requires further installation.

LAN
Device PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_06\4&15e70c52&0&00E1 requires further installation.

Keyboard MS Internet Pro
Device USB\VID_045E&PID_002B&MI_00\7&199571bf&0&0000 could not be migrated.

Printer

Device ROOT\SCANNER\0000 requires further installation.

Life Cam

Device USB\VID_045E&PID_0761&MI_00\6&220fb68f&0&0000 requires further installation.

Mouse

Device HID\VID_047D&PID_1020\6&3027013a&0&0000 requires further installation.

regards

#13 ·
I am moving away from this being a win 10 issue. Today I had another black screen and it would not even show a boot screen, when I restarted the PC although the computer was booting (I could hear all the mechanics and the screen button changed from flashing to the on light).

So moving into high tech mode I vacuumed the motherboard and disconnected the hard drives that I don't actually use.

After that it worked fine and touch wood it still is.

I am not at all sure what this means but let me see how it behaves over the next few hours/days

#15 ·
You mean like this http://i.imgur.com/SHFfnhM.gifv

Problem Solved!! I am still in a state of shock...it was the monitor dying a slow and random death. The symptoms were identical to so many others on the net with a win 10 driver problem. I did not think of a monitor issue at all, especially as I would see driver issue flashing up on the corner of the screen

Apologies for wasting your time but at the same time many thanks

#16 ·
:lil: Yes, like that.

Problem Solved!! I am still in a state of shock...it was the monitor dying a slow and random death. The symptoms were identical to so many others on the net with a win 10 driver problem. I did not think of a monitor issue at all, especially as I would see driver issue flashing up on the corner of the screen

Apologies for wasting your time but at the same time many thanks
Strange, but glad to hear its been solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.