Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win 10 can't read external hd after using with Samsung TV

SOLVED 
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
I was trying out my Toshiba external hard drive on a Samsung TV to view pictures and videos. It worked great, however, after doing that my Windows 10 laptop(s) can only see the empty portion of the drive.
Today I decided to plug it into an old XP machine I have, and it can read the entire drive with no problem, and doesn't show it as partitioned or anything out of the ordinary.

I tried taking ownership of it in Windows 10, but to no avail. I can't change any permissions because it says it can't read the drive.

Any suggestions on how to get it so I can see the files on my Windows 10 machines again?

Thanks!

#3 ·
plug the drive into the XP machine. If it reads it, then run Check Disk on the HDD
In XP, Go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. Type the drive letter of the external dirve (ie) G: and press enter (ie) G:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will start and take a while. After it is done, try attaching the drive to Windows 10 again.

#5 ·
Have you looked at the drive in disk manager using W10? May need to copy everything over to another drive, then re-partition and format to be able to use it on 10, then copy everything back over to it. In some cases it just needs to be marked 'active' for 10 to use it.

#6 ·
Hi all

Just to see, while Windows 10 is up and running, plug in the Toshiba external. Then right-click the Windows 10 Start Menu icon and choose Disk Management. If the drive shows up, has a drive letter, and shows its file type as RAW, then once again right-click the Windows 10 Start Menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin), and try running Check Disk from the command prompt: chkdsk d: /f (for the "d", use whatever drive letter is assigned to the Toshiba external)

I just had to do this for a client of mine yesterday afternoon (though it was a Western Digital external). The Check Disk works if it is only the filesystem that is the problem. If anything is wrong with the partition table, that's another type of repair ... but is also possible to do. With luck, let's hope you just had the file system thrown off by a hot disconnect (there's no "Safely Remove Hardware" on your TV, I imagine).

Good luck

#7 ·
If the disk is inaccessible so you can't run Check Disk, but it is till listed in Disk Management on the Disk # (ie) Disk 1, Disk 2 etc as Not Initialized, then you can recover your files using the free TestDisk program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.

#8 · (Edited)
1. It is marked active.

2. Ran the chkdsk /f and ran fine, but still no access on Windows 10.

3. It shows as Healthy (Active, Primary Partition). It also shows how much of the drive is used and how much free space is remaining.

4. Here's an another odd thing that I didn't think to mention. If I remember a folder like f:\documents it'll take me to the folder and it works fine.

It does seem that I'll have to use my Windows XP machine with old, slow USB to transfer all the files to another drive. Sigh :banghead:
It would be great if there were a solution to this issue. I'm just concerned that I may use a drive on something like that again (I'll make sure it isn't an important one), and want to be able to get access to it again without formatting it.

#9 ·
Figured it out thanks to you guys pointing me to Disk Management!

I decided to right click, went to "Properties", went to the "Security" tab, and noticed that only "System" was present. So, I went in and added the two user groups. As soon as that was done, I was able to access the drive without issue!

I've posted the picture of the solution that worked for me
https://flic.kr/p/MEEyEk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.